Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

NEW to raw easy lunches?

what do you do when you are two hours late getting home for lunch and now you are STARVING?? i need some SATISFYING ideas that can be made ahead of time (and yet not taste like leftovers), or within 5 minutes. Otherwise, I'm reaching for the family's leftovers. :( I can't seem to think quick enough when my stomach is panicking! any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

Fruit - can also be blended

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

I pack nuts, used to pack dates (quick calories!). I mix guacamole and bring carrot slices to use for dipping. I eat soy free miso, and it's easy to bring a bunch of sliced veggies to work and pour a little warm water over the veggies and a tablespoon of miso (definitely not considered raw by all). Whole fruit is easy, especially bananas. I'm peering into the bag I brought to work today - I always bring a grocery back of food in each day (ridiculous I know). Today I brought chia seeds with a little stevia, vanilla bean, maca, and raw vegan hemp protein powder. I add water and make a pudding - it's yummy. For lunch I had cilantro, carrots, broccoli stems, daikon, and cilantro marinated in lemon juice, salba oil (olive works), and ginger juice. I poured warm water over this and added some azuki miso for a soup - it's been pretty cold in Seattle, so I'm craving warming ginger and warm water. You could forgo the miso and add some red pepper flakes and some stevia or something else a little sweet to make an Asian cuisine inspired soup. I also have a grapefruit and pistachio nuts. This gets me through until I get home and I usually whip up a quick batch of guac and eat it with sliced veggies. I also have raw tahini I keep on hand that I mix with cinnamon, stevia (you could use agave or honey if you eat it) and sesame seeds as a sweet snack. Oooh, and my favorite snack is mac nuts with a little lemon, dill, and garlic powder. Yum.

Rawcanadian is right though - fruit is great for beginners. It was a life saver for me - I'd bring in 3 oranges and several bananas to work each day along with a planned lunch and nut based snacks and eat when I was hungry.

• Make guacamole and put a little bit of cayenne pepper it it. Spread on raw chips or a unraw tortilla if you don't have those with some hemp seed, lettuce, chopped tomato and chopped onion. Guacamole burritos! And if you really want it to taste like a "real" burrito, make walnut taco meat. (1 cup walnuts, 1 tablespoon olive oil, some salt and taco seasonings in food processor blended to taste) easy....

Or, like rawcanadian said, fruit. But I like to make a big batch of walnut kream ahead of time, which is super easy: blend 1 cup soaked walnuts, honey to taste, a pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla and water to however thick you want it. (to make this even better, blend in ground flax, chia or hemp seed while adding more sweetener) Dollop over a variety of fruit (my fave is strawberries) This will fill you up more than just eating fruit by itself.

• Keep it simple.. just cut up some bell peppers, avocados, and cucumber on your plate and eat! That is so satisfying!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I love hummus and chopped veggies as a quick and easy meal.

If you're prepared you could make some dehydrated bread/crackers, then serve them with any kind of raw spread/dip.

Fruit is a life saver and you can have it as simple or as fancy as you like.

Nuts and raisins are lovely - but beware - they can be addictive! (for me anyway!)

Green smoothies are also quick and easy.

• When your stomach is "panicking," then I would definitely agree with other suggestions to grab a piece of fruit! No prep needed there! At least you can start there to calm down your stomach!

While your fruit is digesting, you can prepare something more elaborate if you would like. When looking for something more filling than fruit I often make a big green salad and top it with guacamole and lots of veggies. This keeps me full for quite a while. :)

• I am an "immediate gratification" person so I know what you mean! I always plan the day before to make a dish with the food processor like Caulifower Rice, or veggie chili (both recipes are on here). Grab a serving with some sunflower seeds and you are good to go. If you are organized, keep some sprouts around to layer with these dishes, and you will really fill up: sprouted garbanzos, lentils. etc. Another really filling "bowl" is sprouted wheatberries, ground, with banana, berries, and whatever spices you like (nutmeg, etc). I eat that any time of day if I am starving. Of course, if I am unprepared, a green smoothie or a huge salad with avocado & seeds/nuts will always do the trick. If you get bored with salad, try wraps: stuff lettuce with goodies like nut pate, veggies, avocado & roll it up!

I am the Mom of a family that is not raw, so I am swimming in a ton of non-raw temptations & goodies at all times! I have to have my own raw stuff ready to go or I will end up up back eating Doritos and warm bagels with cream cheese etc. Raw Vegan Diet Rocks! Keep on the path!