Bitter aftertaste...

Hi Everybody! I am new to the forum (just joined today, but have been gathering recipes for a couple weeks now, so many great ones!) Several years ago, I was vegan for about 7 years, but became protein deficient and had to go back to meat (on the recommendation of a naturopath)... Looking back, I know now that the reason I didn't get enough protein is because I just stopped eating meat, dairy and eggs, but didn't replace it with other protein sources except tofu once in a while.

Last fall, my husband and I decided to go organic and cut down on meat, so we started moving in the right direction. At the first of the year, we started detoxing with Kombucha and lemon water... feeling even better... Then about a month ago, I decided to go raw (and hubby is almost). I generally feel much better and am losing weight (which I NEED to do, tons of it!) But one thing I've noticed that I have a question about...

Whenever I eat anything other than fruit, I get a bitter aftertaste, that I didn't notice before. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this when they started eating just raw? Do you think it might be a detoxing side affect? Not exactly pleasant.... I'm hoping it goes away as time goes on.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Comments

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

What exactly are you eating besides fruit?

Swayze

• I am eating fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds, mainly...haven't really done much with grains yet. Except I've tried sprouted quinoa (not really a grain) and liked it and sprouted garbanzos and hated them... LOL

I haven't noticed this problem so much anymore... it must have been a passing thing. I think it might have been part of my detoxing. I am still on some medications, and that was what it was like... an aftertaste of medicine.

My doc is very supportive of me going raw (except she recommends I eat eggs too), and is going to help get rid of the meds. I've lost about 40 lbs. since the first of the year and am looking forward to getting my weight down to normal (long way to go yet) and to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Well, glad it's going away!

You definitely do not need eggs in your diet. Just make sure you're eating enough sweet fruit, as well as limiting your fat intake and consuming a moderate amount of greens and non-sweet fruits and you'll do just fine.

And congrats on the weight loss! :D

Swayze