Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Maca and msm, how do you overcome the taste?

Hello,

I would like to ask if people can share their experiences with the taste of maca and/or msm and how they overcome this.

How do you take your daily dose in a little bit more pleasant way? I know about the green smoothies of course, but I'm looking

for something more quick, because I tend to forget to take the stuff sometimes and need to have it without huge amounds of other food.

Thanks!

Comments

• I'll be excited to hear the answer to this one, too! Just can't get used to the maca flavor, and how on earth is one supposed to take the awfully bitter msm powder?

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I personally prefer them both in my green smoothies and I'm fine with the taste but I read some people take MSM in their lemon water. Tried it once and it seemed ok.

Haven't really got a good suggestion for maca though as I like it in smoothies and puddings.

...now if someone could recommend how to deal with the taste of spirulina....GAG! :-)

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

You can hide the maca flavour in smoothies, what i do for all herbal powders is just put the required dosage in a little glass with an ounce or two water at most, then slam it back like i would a shot. Gets it over quickly.

You can capsule the MSM.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Haha, you're spot on powerlifer! That's exactly what I do with spirulina - a shot of that followed closely with a big glug of my breakfast smoothie/juice. It does make me shudder though.

Haha yeah, i find its the best way years back when i was introduced to green algaes and such, i would stick the spirulina in a smoothie and it would eventually ruin certain fruits for me, i still whince at banana smoothies now due to spirulina ruining it.

Where as the quick shot its over and done:).

• Hey all, I found that over time I've just gotten used to the bitter taste of the MSM. It was awful at first but now I barely notice. As for Maca I do it as a shot with this other nasty powder that I take....I like the idea of capsules though!

Hey beaglelove, i forgot to say to you that rhodiola rosea is one of the only adaptogens that have stimulative effects, along with panax ginseng. If forgot to say when looking at the ortho product. Jus thought id point that out, im not against r.rosea its just those who have very weak adrenals sometimes cant tolerate the stimulative nature.

• I just did 2 quick shots, I mixed both with water and it wasn't to bad. I feel now I rather drink the maca mixed into a small glass of water quickly and have lots of water afterwards, instead of mixing it with any other food. The msm was ok-ish. I 'll also try adding stevia and lemon soon.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• Hi Powerlifer :) Thank you for the info on the rhodiola rosea. I'm not sure if I can tell how it's affecting me. Strange that they would put it in there if it can be adverse. I'll check out some other brands to see if they're better. So far Ortho has helped quite a bit.

Also, I wanted to tell you I was pleased to see that my mineral powder supplement has some Iodine in it. Not enough probably though. If you have time to check it out, I'd like your opinion on it - http://www.consciousessentials.com/Ingredients.html. Its not vegan but it really helped me start to balance out. Unfortunately, It is quite expensive but seems to have a wealth of nutrients...

Hope all is well over in Scotland!

Hey beaglelove, the reason the ortho formula is quite good even though they include sythethic vitamins is that not only they cover adaptogens they add in vitamin C and B5 which are the adrenal glands main nutrients. Alot of the designers of formulas sometimes dont really understand many herbs fully and just chuck herbs in here and there. Not that r.rosea is bad its a good adaptogen and herb but it is stimulative.

I cant find the formula your meaning unless that is all the ingredients, i cant see iodine listed, not sure if im looking at the right thing.

Im playing about with the idea of manufacturing my own adrenal formula, in which case there may be some production samples if you'd like to test one. I had a lab produce me one before as a test and it was a great product.

Thanks its raining as usual haha, hope all is well with you also:)

• Thanks Powerlifer. Unfortunately, its raining here too but its cooler today which is nice!

Sure I would be happy to sample/test your adrenal formula - I trust your expertise :) I hope you don't mind sending it to the U.S. Regarding the Ortho, yeah I just take it for the herbs. I try to get most of my B and C vitamins from foods and herbs... though I do supplement A&D via the Cod Liver Oil.

As for the Conscious Essentials, yeah - I just noticed that they didn't include the actual amounts/dosages. Bummer...I will ask about that. In the mean time I will try to find a way to get a you nutrition label. There it does have Iodine listed...

By the way, you may email me directly at secina@hotmail.com if you'd prefer (I'm Stacy). Feel free to reach me there. I've been meaning to write you via your site, I just seem to wind up here. I like your input in all the threads!...Your profile states that your name is Chris?

I am indeed Chris:), not a problem email me via the sites email or ill email you, happy to help where if i can.

Does it list what the iodine is if so i.e potassium iodide if so it will be sythethic if not it will be naturally occuring iodine.

Nice one still a long way away for the formula being produced, alot of regulations have to be met before selling etc.

For minerals i like seaweeds which give iodine, aswell as alfalfa and nettle leaf:).

• Nettle leaf is a source of iodine? Wonderful :) I take nettle leaf every day...I'm going to try working with some nori and dulse too...

Nettle leaf isnt im afraid, but watercress has a source of iodine. Yeah you'd be better with some seaweeds or taking a kelp supplement. I prefer seaweeds though over supplementing,

• Ah got it...thanks!

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

I find wakame to be really palatable as well as hijiki. Wakame is great with warm water, lemon juice, ginger, a little pressed garlic, a little oil, cayenne, daikon, carrot, and maybe some green onions (I had that for dinner last night minus daikon and carrot - so yummy). If you allow soy free miso on your diet, that is super good too. Hijiki is great soaked for a little while and then tossed in a salad made of green onions, carrots, and kale with a dressing of a little raw tahini, lemon juice, oil, and ginger juiced with salt. Yum :) Nori of course is great for wraps, but there's so much more you can do with seaweeds. Dulse I'll eat straight up but haven't found much use for it other than as a soy substitute.

Thats quite creative and definitley the way forward where seaweeds come, seasoning them and spicing them up to hide some of the bad flavour and bring out the good:).

Nice one.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

"Nettle leaf isnt im afraid, but watercress has a source of iodine. Yeah you'd be better with some seaweeds or taking a kelp supplement. I prefer seaweeds though over supplementing."

I got some watercress today powerlifer! I knew it was a good source of iron but didn't know it had iodine and so many other nutrients til I looked it up- I started a thread about this delicious leafy goodness!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

After finding out I'm pretty badly deficient in vit D, it's forced me to think about other essentials I may be missing outon. Powerlifter, you've made me think about iodine and I've just bought some kelp supplements this weekend. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. :-)

I was deficient on all fat soluable vitamins i.e A, D and E at one point but it was because my liver/gallbladder wasnt breaking down fat properly.

Nice one kelps a decent supplement to take, i still prefer to try and get iodine from food sources first. Eating any seaweed a few times a week if you have normal levels should suffice.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

eat real, whole foods, and don't worry about junk you don't like the taste of, powders, etc.

• AdnezalAdnezal Raw Intermediate

I too have an aversion to the taste, however, using Maca and MSM really give me the extra edge I need for yoga or exercise. What I do with things that taste terrible but are good for me is shoot them down very fast. I pour about a half a cup of alkaline water, or just enough to mix 1 tbsp of Maca and 1 tbsp of MSM. I shake the contents very, very well (with the lid on, of course), drink super fast and chase it with a bit of cold water or coconut water -- whatever is on hand. This is over in like 6 seconds and then I forget about it. 

I have gotten accustomed to gross tasting supplements, that is, holding them down, so this method may work a little better for me. 

Good luck! 

• RawLiferRawLifer Raw Jr. Leader

I found this recipe when trying to come up with a way to enjoy MACA.  Feel free to substitute the spices for powdered ones if that's what you have on hand.  

HOT MACA CHAI

1 1/2 cups water

1/8 cup or one small handful almonds (soaked overnight and rinsed)

1/2 cinnamon stick

3-5 whole cloves

3 peppercorns

3-5 cardamom pods

1 star anise pod

small chunck of fresh ginger root (1/2 inch)

Blend on high for a minute and then strain through a cloth or nut milk bag.  Mixture will be thick as we are using as little water as possible here so that our drink will be hot later :-)

Add the strained liquid back into the blender.

Then add to the blender:

1 T Maca powder

1 small ripe banana

2 T raw honey or agave nectar

1 T cacao butter cut into chunks (optional....i  never had this so I left if out)

1-2 tsp coconut oil

1 Pinch of sea salt

2 cups hot (boiled) water

Blend all ingredients together on medium speed for about a minute until smooth and creamy.  Liquid is HOT so make sure lid is secure! Fill cups.  Add froth and top with freshly grated nutmeg.  

Enjoy!  

I made this ALOT in the winter and spring instead of my coffee in the morning.  It was very energizing and delicious!  

ClaireT