Samosas: What should I use instead of potatoes?

I LOVE Samosas. Looking to make a good raw substitute. Lettuce or whatever is fine for me for the outside part, the main problem is what to use for the cooked potatoes and peas. The peas I like the taste of, but they might be too crunchy... I might try blending them in. Maybe there is a raw way to soften the peas? The carrots I think I will just grate so there will be a little bit of crunch from that... there is probably not a good way to soften those without cooking.

Or if anybody has a link to a good raw samosa recipe, that would be great too! Thanks

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

what about butternut squash cubed, im not sure if you can eat it raw though, or pumpkin again im not sure if you can eat pumpkin raw.

• mewmewmintmewmewmint Raw Newbie

mmm that might be good

• Just an idea, I haven't tried this, but how about running some sprouted buckwheat through a food processor and then stirring in chia seeds?

i think buckwheat might not taste very good in a samosa...

• cauliflower is a good substitute that doesn't deviate as much from the diet - could be left chunky or mashed. i've been using it in variations of the saag recipe in the good heart/sigur ros uncook zine.

another option, though I don't know if it would work as well is jicima (this does work well in potato salad variations)

if you go the pumpkin/squash route I would try juicing it and perhaps mixing the juice and pulp or freezing then defrosting it to soften (which can also work with eggplant)

hmm never thought about freezing... cauliflower seems like it would be too crunchy.... mashed might be good though. i've never had jicama. should try it.

• There's a Russel James samosa recipe at:

http://therawchef.com/therawchefblog/vegetable-samosas-with-cucumber-mint-raita

As for the potato replacement, maybe some marinaded and dehydrated aubergine?

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

That recipe from Russel looks great thanks for posting.

the make some fantastic ones with red mustard seeds at an asian shop nearby

i'm going to try to make something like that

i'll post the recipe if it turns out well

got some squash since it's in season and cheap right now so i might try that first and then the other things

was also thinking corn might be good instead of peas