Juicing/Blending

I am new to eating raw and juicing. I have tried juicing Kale but find that not much juice comes out. Is this normal? Has anyone ever just blended all ingredients together instead of juicing? I just need some helpful tips for this! Thank you!

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Depending on the juicer not much juice comes out for many vegetables. Strong greens such as kale are meant to be the small additions to juice.

I prefer juicers that keep the fibres present as it doesnt provide a pure fructose hit to the liver which has been shown to contribute to fatty liver disease. The fibre is what slows down the absorption of the sugars/carbs. So id say in this case blending them as a smoothie is better unless you have a juicer which retains the fibre or are adding a fibre source to the juices:).

Also to note that many raw vegetables such as kale, broccoli contain goitrogens which interfere with thyroid function.

• So basically I can use a blender and get better results since it keeps all the fiber?! I think cleanup would be easier as well using a blender versus my juicer!!!! You mentioned the greens give little juice - that is normal? What about mixing fruit with vegetables? Is that still beneficial? I read a book about food combination so I'm all confused when it comes to the smoothies! I like using apples with my veggies because it sweetens it up!

Both are good but only if the juice retains the fibre like i say. So if yours doesnt i would say blending is a better idea.

Yeah green vegetables such as spinach, kale all produce minimal juice compared to say lettuce. Strong greens such as spinach are only meant to be a part of a juice rather than the bulk of it.

• If you want the benefits of eating a lot of green leafy veggies without actually eating them (or juicing them) you can try freeze-dried wheatgrass juice powder. It's raw and helps you stay pretty full afterward.

• How much juice you get out of green leafy veggies really depends on the juicer you use (google centrifugal versus masticating juicers). Masticating juicers are better for that purpose. As for juicing versus blending

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

I almost always blend instead of juice (the only exception is freshly squeezed orange juice on occasion). Blending is a better alternative because, as powerlifter said, the fiber is kept intact.

Swayze

I believe the old vita-mix juicers retain the fiber, is anyone aware of any other juicers which retain the fiber id be most interested as juicing can be a great tool.

• Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum! I got my Vitamix 5200 last year from Costco and I am blown away by how incredible it is. I use it just about every day now. I can't believe I can make my own ice cream and almond milk! The vegetable cocktails are amazing. I'm developing a product that has to do with Vitamix. Send me any question you have related to the Vitamix blender via this link http://vitamix5200.org/question and I'll send you a free copy of the product when it is finished. I want to make sure I answer everyone's questions! Really excited to hear your responses.