Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

is pumpkin allowed on 80/10/10?

i just bought a big pumpkin from the farmers market, but now im so sure that douglas graham allows this on 80/10/10. does anyone know?

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

I havent read 80/10/10 but i can see no reason why not, pumpkin is very healthy and full of nutrients.

If not one inline with 811 one pumpkin wont do any harm:).

• I'm pretty sure pumpkin is a squash which is technically a fruit; it has seeds and falls off the plant. Plus it's high carb, low fat, and that's basically the 811 gig :) Although I'm not sure if it would be good raw...I know I buy them when they're cheap, my family loves chunky pumpkin-vegetable soup. If you're not 100% you could steam it lightly, but it's really tough to cut that thing up, takes me forever, so I don't know about trying to eat it in that state :)

• CeidrenCeidren Raw Superstar

You can chop pumpkins/winter squashes into raw salads, blend them into raw soups, shred them into raw pastas... You are allowed to eat whatever regardless of what doug graham thinks is cool; so just make your own raw diet.

• hikurohikuro Raw Newbie

I'm pretty sure Dr. D doesn't have any problems with pumpkin, and it's pretty in line with 811, though it seems it's not mentioned directly in 80/10/10. And I doubt eating 'unhealthy' 1% of the time amounts to much difference, though generally people will grossly miscalculate what that is.

Personally I just use canned pumpkin. Not raw, but it's far easier, and good pumpkin isn't that easy to come by here. I made some ice cream the other day... which didn't turn out, but in the process of making, the pumpkin smoothie mix I had was pretty delicious. 4-5 bananas, 2-3 cups of pumpkin, a cup of soy milk, pretty delicious seasonal smoothie.

I didnt even know you could get canned pumpkin must look out for it.

But seeing as there in season just now ill pick up a few fresh in the meantime.

http://www.amlaberry.co.uk

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

As long as it doesn't cut into the amount of calories you are getting from sweet fruit (pumpkin is pretty low in sugar), there's no issue. You could certainly shred some up into a salad or blend some up with greens and maybe some other fruit into a soup for your dinner meal.

I think the reason Dr. D doesn't mention it is because it isn't very appetizing in its raw state to most people (myself included). :)

Swayze

• Pumpkin/Squash seeds are actually raw and not steamed or anything like about 90% of what is sold in the stores (even if it does say that they are raw).

• the_chumanathe_chumana Raw Newbie

Do pumkins need to be peeled before being eaten raw?

Yeah i believe they do the_chumana, im 90 percent sure anyway lol from what ive read.

On a different note from raw, ive made some great vegan pumpkin recipes this week, the best was a vegan pumpkin curry.

• CeidrenCeidren Raw Superstar

Thin-skinned kabocha, red kuri, and some delicata squash have edible skins, even when raw, though they do have a crunch associated.

• Simple to more complex raw pumpkin soup recipes.

The last one requires a juicer. All of them require a blender.

http://www.missorganic.com.au/recipes/raw-pumpkin-soup.html?p=48

http://goneraw.com/recipe/pumpkin-soup-orange

http://www.thebark.com/content/dog-food-recipes-pumpkin-soup

the last one is from a book but for some reason it's being advertised as a DOG food recipe? lol.. still it looks awesome.

Cheers for the recipes ghost, i still have part of a pumpkin left so will give one of these a whirl today.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Some dogs have more discerning tastes than humans. :p