Forgive my Ignorance...

Okay…can I have some stuff explained to me?

I’m sort of intimidated by some terms here…but you guys aren’t scary, so I’ll ask…

SAD eater….what does SAD stand for…? I’ve been trying to figure that out for awhile now….?

Spirulina. Where in my local coop can I find that? Is it expensive? How do I use it/prepare it? How is it good for me/bad for me,etc?

Tips on using the oven for a dehydrator….I cannot afford to buy a dehydrator right now…but I want to add some variety to our menu…I want to try to dehydrate some stuff using my oven. Tricks/tips from those of you who use your oven istead of a dehydrator?

Easy recipes that call for 5-6 affordable ingredients or less?

If you can only answer one or two questions, that’s cool w/ me. These are just things that are sort of picking at me. Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

Peace

Tessa

Comments

• SAD is standard american diet i do know that much. As far as the sweetners, etc i dont know much about im in the process of transitioning myself.Good luck

June

• Hi Tessa, I don’t have any at the moment but a while back I was taking spirulina and felt like it gave me a lot of energy. It is a blue green algae. I took it in tablet form. But I think you can get it in powder to add to smoothies. It was about 15- 25 dollars for a small bottle. If I were you I’d get a high protein powder with spirulina as an ingredient. You get more for your money that way!

Sad is “standard american diet” I love the acronym!

Using a regular oven is hard because of all of the hours it takes for most things. I would recommend you put it at it’s lowest setting to warm some things up a half an hour before a meal like the spaghetti. But otherwise just go for salad type entrees.

If you blend thing up in a blender you can get them warm that way. When I first started I happened to find a dehydrator for $15.00 on sale at the mall. This really got me started. So keep you eye out for a good deal. You don’t have to spend a fortune. I use the circular disks that came with it now in the bigger dehydrator I have. So it wasn’t a waste of money.

I made a dip that tasted just like nacho cheese dip in the blender with the cheese sauce recipe on this site. It came out warm and everything. You can pour it over red peppers, zuchini, cucumbers- etc. Even apples or pears would be interesting. Throw on chopped lettuce, black olives, tomatoes, a little onion and jalepenos and you have awesome nachos! Hollow out a tomato and fill with chopped pecans, onions, parsely, a squirt of lemon or lime, and cucumber for a fun treat. Pate’s and vegies are easy too. The croquettes I made can me made with just a food processor and made more interesting with different sauces.

I hope this helps!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

=)

S.A.D. = standard american diet, a sad diet

i don’t have a dehydrator. it depends on your oven. my parents have a convection one that has a little star with means it’s on but not letting off much heat. i just use that and let it stay in about twice as long as it would normally (not very efficient!). my oven has no such option so i just turn it on the lowest temp for a few minutes, turn it off, let it sit for a few hours, turn it back on etc… you can also keep the door open and keep on lowest temp.

i wouldn’t go crazy with dehydrator recipes though because you’ll find the simplest stuff is really what you want to be eating.

cheap raw things: -sprouting your own chickpeas and using them to make hummus (same as regular, but without the canned chickpeas). actually if you check out the bulk aisle in your local organic market they have tons of affordable legumes, sprouts and seeds (sprouting is actually very easy!).

-flax seeds are great (and cheap!). grind them into a powder in a coffee grinder if you have one (won’t be needing that anymore anyway… might as well put it to good use). use a couple tablespoons in the morning in a smoothie.

-bananas are super affordable. there is a great recipe for ice cream on this sight which involves bananas and seems easy.

-treat yourself to a nice simple salad of organic heirloom tomatoes if you have a local farmers market…. while they are in season!

-even in organic grocery stores, the leafy greens (kale, chard) tend to be super affordable. just chop ‘em up and eat with lemon (or make a dressing with some avocado, lemon and fresh jalepeno… that’s another cheap ingredient… chilies!)... you might want to mix it with some lettuce so it’s not too bitter. they make great wrappers too. once you’ve made some hummus you can play around the with ingredients (ginger, chili, raw almond butter instead of tahini, etc) and stuff the leaves with the mixture, top with some cuke and carrot slivers and ROLL.

-when i started i found visuals super important: check out ani phyo’s youtube videos for some very simple recipes!

enjoy! you’re gonna love it =)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

=) it looks like we all wrote that at the same time. we all know what sad is apparently!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

By the way…Standard UK diet = SUKD !! SAD and SUKD, says it all realy doesn’t it?!

I don’t think spirulina is an essential ingredient. It is algae from the sea/lake. People like it coz it is alkalising and contains lots of chloryphll. But you can get everything you need from common leafy greens, veggies and fruits. I used spirulina when I was transitioning to raw, but when I went 100% I just left it coz I was getting plently of green goodness I didn’t need extra!

Try a fan blowing into your oven. So things don’t go mouldy when you try to dry them. Air movement is important.

Try the donut holes recipe it is usually on the front page of this website…very quick and easy and you’ll be eating them for ever!!

• Awesome! Thanks guys for the tips! I wouldn’t have thought to use the fan…and we’ve had a lot of humidity lately….so yeah, mold could be a problem…. I’ll leave out the spirulina for the time being…I enjoy using greens in my smoothies :) I’ve been trying to sprout some dried legumes…but I’m not liking the taste…maybe I should get some “fresher” stuff (I’ve been using sort of old beans—maybe that’s my problem… SAD…heh…so SAD….it…heh…SUKDs! I like the