Coconut Oil?

I have noticed recipes that call for coconut oil or coconut butter. What is the difference between the oil and the butter? The jar I bought says “coconut oil” “better than butter”. I’m confused!!!

Comments

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Coconut oil is often refered to as “butter”, I don’t know why… BUT there is a brand called Artisana that does make a real “coconut butter”. It’s like a nice creamy coconut spread, very yummy. I often use it in dessert recipes.

• coconutty-what a fitting name for this topic :-)

So really I could use either???

Eh, it depends on your recipe. The coconut oil is a lot less dense I guess you could say, where as an actual coconut “butter” will be a lot heavier and add more thickness (it’s kinda like a paste). Like for desserts and stuff you can easily use the coconut butter in place of the oil. But for salad dressings and dips or savory recipes, I would use the oil. Just cause a lot of times you don’t want such a heavy coconut presence in your meal. But the coconut butter adds such a nice touch to a lot of desserts… kinda get what I’m saying??? Hope I didn’t confuse you! ;-)

• Yes, I got it! Now I’m going to have to get the Artisana Coconut Butter! Thank you so much for your help.

• the cafe gratitude recipe book calls for “unscented” coconut oil- but i have not been able to find it in the stores (natural food stores). anyone know where to get it? otherwise the taste is so strong…

I’ve noticed that all brands are different. I guess you just might have to experiment, or go by word of mouth. I’ve tried 3 brands, all 3 were totally different. One was super coconut-y, one had the very slightest bit of coconut flavor, and one was completely “blah”. One of the jars I got was by Marine Biotherapies. It is very very mild. Don’t really know much about the company, all I know is that it was on sale! ha ha! The other ones I’ve tried were by local companies so I doubt they are sold elsewhere.