Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw almonds WILL be illegal Sept 1st, 2007

PonyGirlPonyGirl Raw Newbie

I just now found out about this. The USDA has decided that “raw” almonds will, in a few days, be those that have been subjected to 200 degree steam OR propylene oxide (PPO), a toxic fumigant approved for use on raw almonds to kill Salmonella bacteria. More info here: http://rawfoodrightnow.blogspot.com/2007/08/bre…

I am sick and tired of government needlessly interfering in our lives. I believe consumers should have a CHOICE.

Comments

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

In a last ditch effort to reopen the comment period before the regulation goes into effect, please go to the following link and sign the petition. Pass the info on to your circle of influence so we can get an outpouring of support.

http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizati…

• makes me sick too….

Drives me nuts…the definitely of “healthy”...

I really could go off about this…but I won’t because it’s a waste of time when many of you probably agree to it to some extent and/or have heard it before. I try not to be too much of a conspiracy theorist, but sometimes you have to wonder…

• I really feel like there is a lot more to this issue than meets the eye. We don’t really NEED almonds anyway. Maybe there will be a big drop off in sales when this happens- and I hope so! Pecans and walnuts are just fine with me. And I think a lot of raw foodists are working on reducing their nut intake as it is anyway. Why are they picking on almonds anyway? Is it a test to see what they can get away with and are they going to start demanding it with all nuts?

• sigh.. i signed it..

thanks weazelchef for signing. i too need to cut down on nut intake but there are many who really depend on almonds. and yes eternity, there is a bigger picture here. after they include other nuts, will they proceed to produce? will we know if the produce we are eating is actually raw? it is totally sickening and i think we need to act to try to stop this right now and not let them test this any further!

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Signed – thanks for posting. Not only is the new law frustrating, but also that these nuts can continue to be labeled as raw!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I signed it. :(

• I just signed it too! I saw a little sign about this at my local health food store by the raw almonds, but didn’t know how to exercise my political rights. Thanks for providing the link.

I agree that this may just be the beginning of something larger

• I signed it! I went to the grocery store today and asked about the almonds being sprayed and they looked at me like I was crazy and said they have never heard of such a thing and basically acted like I was telling some story! Then the manager of the department said she would have to check it out!!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Hey guys,

Don’t forget about that you can get raw almonds unpasteurized online or in California or just buy the ones grown overseas.

Check on the Cornucopia web site to see things you can do about this:

http://cornucopia.org/index.php/almonds

There are sample letters and such that you send to protest about this. There is always the possibility that we can get an exception (hopefully for the organic farmers) so keep pushing.

Yeah, some stores won’t know about it and even those that do won’t have any idea of whether the almonds they are getting are pasteurized yet but lots have already been being pasteurized since March. Play it safe for now and get the foreign almonds if you really want to buy them. Or buy online.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I signed it…

I’m so glad to see people signing the petition. Remember, that “raw” almond butter will be pasteurized as well, unless it is made from almonds not grown in California. So, be sure to look at the ingredients of all prepared raw foods to make sure that almonds/almond butter is not used or that it is somehow certified as being really raw. I am looking into a few sources that are getting their almonds from Europe and will sell them and use them to make almond butter.but again, how will we really know for sure what is raw and what isn’t?

• I can get unshelled almonds direct from the grower, read here: not pasteurized, no PPO. The downside is that you have to shell them yourself, not such a bad proposition considering… I’m in N.California and will pick up and can deliver if anyone else is interested. That’s the Chico, Yuba City, Sacramento area. and possibly the SF bay area too.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

hey mtnflower, i replyed to your last post but im truely interested in getting 25 to 50 pounds of these!!! ill make the drive to sacramento…Im in san diego….

• I SIGNED IT! i cant believe how screwed up these laws are, WE NEED TO HAVE A CHOICE! and if they label the almonds as “raw” still, that’s really messed up. i will def say something about this to the store manager if i see this happening, and i encourage all of you to do so too.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Signed… that just doesnt make me feel too great :( Ok where is that coconut water?? haha

• The only thing I am afraid of is the precedent this will set with other raw foods. The USDA starts deciding all nuts need to be pasteurized, or something to that effect because of these almonds.

signed

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

I signed the petition, too. Jeez what a crazy over-regulated world we’re living in. It sure seems like we (as a species… not US of course) have our priorities all screwed up.

Jen

righ jkd. then the organic can of worms is opened. Will certified organic foods really be certified organic? Or after they finish screwing with raw will they move on to organics?

• Signed it. Whew! Just in the nick of time.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i think i’m going to grow my own

http://cliftonsnursery.net/All-in-One-Almond-Tr…

• I think writeeternity hit it on the nose. We should show support by not buying the product. I am today new at this, but I can already see how resouceful all of you are. If they mess with the almond, then buy your next favorite nut and definately sign the petition.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Techinically, (as I understand it, so correct me if I’m wrong) raw almonds are not illegal. It’s illegal to ship them unpasteurized but it is not illegal to possess raw, dormant/living almonds. Afterall, it’s not illegal to get raw, dormant/living almonds straight from the farm.

I just read in the Wall Street Journal this morning that California grows more almonds than cotton, strawberries, and wine. And, that the increase in demand of almonds is due to diets like the Atkins diet and South Beach diet. People are investing in this almond market and buying farms! Even people that aren’t farmers!

germin8-

It is illegal to sell unpasteurized almonds at a place like a grocery store or farmers market. It is illegal to ship unpasteurized almonds to any place in the US (but apparently it is OK for a place in the US to ship them overseas unpasteurized). The only place to legally buy them unpasteurized is straight from the farm in California. This is regulated by poundage though – the farm can only sell so many pounds unpasteurized per day.

Keep in mind everyone that the law only applies to almonds grown in California (which is where 90% of the worlds almonds are grown) so no worries buying raw almonds grown in Europe (which is what I plan on doing for now).

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

The Living Tree Community states that they will always provide raw almonds, even if they have to import them. Do they rock or what!

http://www.livingtreecommunity.com/store2/defau…

• They do rock. But dang! It’s going to be expensive.

queenfluff- Where are you getting your european almonds from? thanks

• I try to eat raw, but I have a varied diet! I

Hi Matt

I get mine from a local co-op here in Milwaukee. They just happen to sell raw organic almonds from both California and Europe. I would check out some of the online raw sites like Natural Zing – I think they are still selling raw almonds that are unpasteurized. David Wolfes site might be another to check out too.