book suggestion with photos!

nicolettenicolette Raw Jr. Superstar

Could anyone help....im wanting to invest in a good raw recipe book but it needs to have lots and lots of inspirational photos of finished dishes....so i can just flick through the book and see what takes my fancy. Im not really interested in the content of the recipes, just the photo of the food - then i can improvise to suit what i feel like.

Anyone know of any books? I dont want to go buying somehthing only to find out ive wasted money on a book with nothing but text text and more text!

Thanks guys,

x x

Comments

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

Matt Amsden's Rawvolution has a photo of every recipe. I love the book, some of his recipes have become staples.

• nicolettenicolette Raw Jr. Superstar

Thanks Daniefon...just looked it up...one review says he's liberal with the salt and oil though ?? What would you say? Is it easy to adapt to suit?

Almost all of the books I've seen are liberal with the fats! I always cut them waaaaayyyy back with no problem.

• nicolettenicolette Raw Jr. Superstar

Really? And the recipes come out ok? Could you tell me how you cut back? Like if it says 2 cups of walnuts and a cup of oil how can you reduce it so that the texture still works?

ive got a thing about coconut shreds....everything seems to put coconut in...how can you get around that one for texture? Especially without a dehydrator?!....and which book would you recommend to use if i was wanting to cut back on the amount of fats used in a specific recipe without it affecting the results?

Sorry Danie x x

No need to be sorry!

Yes, what I usually do is start by cutting the oil in half and try it. If it needs some, I add it. If it's good, the next time I cut it a bit more. I haven't had texture problems, perhaps it as to do with my own taste buds, the heavy oily recipes are unappealing. As far as nuts, usually you need them, but don't so much need the oil. I've replaced some of the nuts in recipes with sunflower seeds, maybe 1/4 to 1/3, not enough to affect the flavor, because they're lower in fat. I also tend to shy away from the fattier recipes.

As far as coconut, I'm not sure. What about grating some carrots and letting them sit out all day on paper towels to dry out or better yet, use carrot pulp from a juicer, do you have a juicer? I love to use carrot pulp in things. I haven't tried it in place of coconut, but other than the color, I bet you could make it work.

I hardly use cookbooks anymore, but in the beginning, I used rawvolution and ani pho's , and I've always been conservative with fats. There is no way I'd ever put a cup of oil in anything especially not with nuts too. If you aren't dehydrating, you can moisten it with a little water or other liquid that works in the recipe since that would be the role of the oil. If you were dehydrating it might affect it.

Let's see, some other ideas...I've used small amounts of psyllium to thicken blended recipes, which will allow you to cut nuts and oil. I've used peeled zucchini to make things creamy. I made zucchini hummus the other day with no oil and just a little cashew butter (I was out of tahini). And it was great.

Raw oats blended into things for creaminess or even dry oats ground into flour can replace part of your nuts if the nuts are the bulk of the recipe, for instance in a pie crust.