Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Non-nut base for the cookies?

I had a look at the cookies recipes, and most of them use nuts as the main component. I was wondering if it’s possible to use seeds or something instead of nuts?? Also, is it possible to get something close to flapjacks? :) Thanks!

Comments

• ahhh yes i posted something like this a while back and didnt fare too many responses…. i guess oatmeal would be okay? im not sure if thats 100% raw…. seeds would be great… how about something else?? anybody? i did a google look up for raw flour and came up with quite a few websites but no pictures of the actual thing.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

I think sunflower seeds should work pretty well.

• Sprouted quinoa and amaranth would be great, sprouted buckwheat, or other grains, or grated coconut work well.

• Thanks writeeternity for the tips. I’m new to raw food. I am a bit scared of sprouting that i will do something wrong. The only thing i was doing recently is soaking… would is the best way to sproute grains???

Thanks

• StefunkStefunk Raw Newbie

www.sproutpeople.com has a lot of useful sprouting information. I’ve read and re-read it all and still haven’t done it myself though! Today’s the day:)

• Here’s my tried and true technique. Soak ___ (whatever you’re soaking) in an airtight jar for the amount of time it needs. Most raw uncook books will have a soaking/sprouting chart. Put it in a plastic strainer. Put the strainer in another bowl, put a towel over the strainer and place under your sink. Take the beans/grains/seeds out about 3 times a day and rinse them off. They will sprout! Its kind of neat, like a science experiment in your kitchen:) Good luck!

• i use ground flax and chia seeds as an alternative to nuts. works great, still high in protein (and omegas)- but not quite as heavy/oily- at least so it seems to my stomach. :)

• what about millet?? is that any good?

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Hi Daria, check out my oat cookies on my profile page.

• sweetpea, thanks a lot…those sounds amazing!!! Buckwheat is my favourite grain…I love it :) I left a comment for the recipe :)

• well, if you are looking for a non-nut based coookie, a while back i posted a recipe for Lemony Coconut Swirls- they obviously contain no nuts and are delicious! Good Luck with your adventure. :)

• Thanks everyone I will try all the suggestions! :) Just one more question … are oats raw for example these one Oats I couldn’t find the processing instrustions, so i’m confused.

Does anyone use wheatbran???

• Oat groats are sold raw. I bought some “Really Raw Oats” from The Raw Bakery, but I haven’t used them yet. I’ve been enjoying summer produce too much!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Oat groats are not raw, they have been heated to prevent worms, insects and other stuff.(the worms won’ touch raw oats coz they are clever!)

The Really Raw oat groats and rolled oats cost alot more than regular ones, and come from raw websites like alisia cohen’s in the USA and Raw Living in the UK.