All walnuts raw?

randommararandommara Raw Newbie

Hi! I was told that no walnuts are roasted so there was no need to get walnuts that state that they are raw. Is that true? I have to admit that regular walnuts don’t have the crunchy texture other cooked nuts have so I’ve been eating them. What do you guys think? Thanks, Mara

ClaireT

Comments

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I have never seen roasted walnuts, so that’s probably correct. I don’t think any heat is required to open the shells, either.

I think people would go for roasted almonds and cashews before going for roasted walnuts, anyway. They don’t seem to be as popular eaten out of hand as some other nuts out there. Walnuts are also kinda fragile, and a lot of might break up when roasted en masse. :)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

the rawness of a nut has more to do with it being pasteurized or irradiated. if it’s roasted it is clearly stated. but “raw” just means not roasted and has nothing to do with whether it has been damaged by other forms of heat.

you should check with your stores to see how they process their nuts. i know whole foods does not irradiate, but does pasteurize its almonds. you could ask about walnuts. they are very friendly at their headquarters, ready to answer questions.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

Yeah, I’ve never seen roasted walnuts either. Guess that means they’re raw.

• It does appear that roasted walnuts are available and I would love to try them as they sound yummy. Here’s a link to nuts.com who sells them. I personally like both roasted and raw nuts and get the dry roasted when it’s an option. https://nuts.com/nuts/walnuts/roasted-and-salted.html