Cheesecake???

I use to love SAD cheesecake so I made a raw cheesecake and it tastes strange. I know I can’t expect it to taste like the real thing, but does anyone else NOT like raw cheesecake. This is the recipe I used:

Just Like Cheesecake By Emily Lee Angell (“The Complete Book of Raw Food”)

Makes: 24 slivers

For the Crust: 2 cups raw macadamia nuts 1/2 cup dates, pitted (medjools) 1/4 cup dried coconut

For the Cheese: 3 cups chopped cashews, soaked for at least 1 hour 3/4 cup lemon juice 3/4 cup honey 3/4 cup coconut oil 1 teaspoon vanilla 1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt (optional)

For the Raspberry Sauce: 1 bag frozen raspberries (or use whatever berries you prefer) 1/2 cup dates

To make the crust, process the macadamia nuts and dates in the food processor. Sprinkle dried coconut onto the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch spring form pan. Press crust onto the coconut. This will prevent it from sticking.

To make the cheese, blend the cashews, lemon, honey, gently warmed coconut oil (do not use microwave), vanilla, sea salt (if using), and 1/2 cup water. Blend until smooth and adjust to taste.

Pour the mixture onto the crust. Remove air bubbles by tapping the pan on a table.

Place in the freezer until firm. Remove the whole cake from the pan while frozen and place on a serving platter. Defrost in the refrigerator.

Comments

• What do you mean with strange? What does it taste to you? could you please describe it? I made the Raw Chocolate Dream Cake (which is really a cheese choco-cake and it was delicious to me, but I am used to eat raw and raw cakes. Your recipe is with cashews which I find to have a strong creamy but delicious taste. They are my favorite nuts. The Panna Cotta recipes on this webstie are also made with cashews.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Loving Life Cafe has the best raw food cheesecake. It costs too much to overnight… but I did overnight it to Texas once. Loving Life is in Pennsylvania. They have a recipe e-book… but I don’t know if the cheesecake is in the book. My husband took the ice cream class… they have great raw ice cream too!

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Where in Pa? I live about an hour east of Pittsburgh.

• I love cashews so thats not the problem, although the entire flavor is strong and its almost waxy/rubbery from the coconut oil,which also has a strong underlying flavor. Maybe next time I should add carob/cacao???? My children love it!

It’s in New Oxford, PA… east of Gettysburg. I put a link to it on my previous post.

Oh yeah, I cycled to Pittsburg (from MD) a couple weeks ago… and I wanted to stop by Maggie’s Mercantile to get something raw to eat… but they were closed that Labor Day. Have you been there? How is it?

• Well, maybe its just me. The cheesecake was a hit with my husband as well!

Germin8—Very new to raw so I’m unfamiliar with the Pgh raw restaurants.I never heard of Maggie’s so I googled it and it looks good. My B-Day is coming up and I was going to get my husband to take me out to a nice seafood restaurant called Monterey Bay, but I’m going to do some research and see if I can’t find a good raw restaurant to visit instead. This is my 3rd day 100% raw(as far as I know!) and I’m feeling so good I don’t want to use my B-Day or any other holiday for that matter as an excuse to binge on cooked food. That’s a vicious cycle I’m finally putting the brakes on.Any suggestions for the Pittsburgh area?

Deborahann, I’m not familiar with the raw food restaurants in Pittsburgh, but you can check: http://www.rawfoodplanet.com/rawcity/Pennsylvan… and http://www.giveittomeraw.com/map/

Maybe you can take a trip to Gettysburg… I went there for my birthday this year, we mini-toured Gettysburg, and drove east to eat at Loving Life Cafe (raw food restaurant)... then, we took the raw food class they offered! It was a unique birthday… and my husband also took the class with me! Just an idea. The restaurant is not fancy… or “fine dining”... but, the food is unbelievably raw and yummy!

Thanks Germin8

• hey nisolu have you tried leaving the cashew cheese out for a day or so to develop that cheese flavor? it adds a great taste that i looove, more cheesey and i found it makes it easier to digest too.