I've decided to Detox... help

I have been struggling with the RAW diet mainly because of detox. When I eat raw during the day, naturally I will want to have a raw dinner. But every time dinner comes I start to feel tired and sick. Ive come to realize that these are symptoms of detox. There is no cooked food in this house except for rice noodles, my boyfriends pizzas, and the occasional snacks like cheese or crackers.I have not gone through a single day being 100% raw. Now Ive decided to go ahead with the detox. To be honest I’m very nervous about it. I believe I’m severly toxic. So please share your experiences here, and some encouraging words. Oh yes, I am breastfeeding also.

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hey there justbeautiful,

The detox is weird, because it can hurt sometimes, but there is also something else going on…your body repairing itself and getting what it needs at last. Focus on the good feelings getting better and better, because going 100% raw means that you are going to feel amazing.

I have found that even when going through a detox patch I still feel that I better than ever before.

My husband who has treated his body far, far worse than me, and for much longer than me has never had any detox hardship at all, he has been strictly 100% for 2 years. He just doesn’t believe it has to feel bad, and so he doesn’t get any symptoms…I on the other hand have a whole load of ridiculous beliefs about “no pain no gain”, and “if it doesn’t hurt it doesn’t work” etc, and I have had detoxing symptoms. So it seems to me that what you think will happen, will happen. There’s no other explanation as to why he has no detox nastiness and I do.

Anyway, despite whatever detoxing is going on for me, the good feelings far outweigh any detoxing pains.

And the detoxing isn’t that bad, for me the worst it has been is diarreah (spelling?!) and vomiting, some weird sores and occaisional tiredness. The first 2 months were tiredness and the sores, then I started doing yoga and all of that went away. Recently after being 100% for about 1 1/2 years I have had the diarreah and vomiting for a couple of days a couple of times in the last 2 months. Which has left me in total awe of my body as it has cleared out goodness knows what kind of hideousness! The good bit is how you feel after you get over a “hump”.

Doing yoga stopped 99% of my detoxing symptoms.

Green juice/smoothies helps.

Just go for it, the sooner you start the sooner you’ll be over it. We are here to support you through it :)

• It is not a suggested practice to do cleanses or detox programs while breastfeeding. The toxins leaving your body will be leached into your breast milk – thus being transferred to your baby during feeding.

I would wait until you are finished breastfeeding.

• Well if I’m toxic doesn’t that mean my breastmilk is toxic? I dont plan on weaning until a few years! :-/

When I’m getting close to being 100% raw, I start to feel like vomiting, which is another reason why I stop. Thanks for sharing that.

• I agree justbeautiful that whatever is in your body is in your breastmilk.

But from what I understand about doing a detox or cleanse while breastfeeding, it could be harmful for the baby. If you are doing a detox or cleanse, your body will be pulling all kinds of toxins out, and while breastfeeding these would excrete into the milk. I have read that it could possibly make your body stop producing milk.

Here are some of the symptoms I have read could happen to the baby….

agitation, restlessness, weight loss issues, skin rashes, and problems eliminating through the bowels.

I think if you stay away from any further toxins, you should be okay. I think Green juice/smoothies would be okay to do. I read the “improved digestive” thread here at this site. I think you can find it under “Other Stuff”. Jirizarry gave some interesting information on how she improved her health. Like less to no nuts. She ate a strickly fresh fruit/vegetable diet for 6 months. Without using any seasonings, etc..

I know it is hard. I remember when I was breastfeeding my daughter and could not wait to finish breastfeeding so I could do a cleanse.

Not meaning to be a downer, just sharing.

• Hi Zoe, I’m just curious- did you or your husband have any differences in being immunized or childhood diseases like chicken pox? I was thinking something like that could have an effect or maybe you were exposed to more toxins in drinking water than he was.

I have another question for just beautiful- what are you eating the first two meals? Maybe you need to eat heavier meals earlier in the day. If all I have is fruit for breakfast, my hands shake by lunchtime. This could lead to feeling sick- so maybe you need more nuts, or sprouted hummus, etc.

• Not a downer simplyraw. Factual and concerned. Maybe I’ll use these years of NOT detoxing to me advantage. lol… by researching and researching and researching. That way when I’ve weaned him off I’ll be prepared!

writeeternity, your right about going heavier on the breakfast. I usually have just fruit… hmm is there any way to go 100% RAW without detoxing? Dont those two go hand in hand?

This is my guess. Yes you can avoid detoxing going raw by eating heavily. Detoxing means simplifying your diet as much as possible so your body can focus on ugly toxins. Just my guess.

• Have you looked at the www.thegardendiet.com website?

Jinjee wrote an e-book about being pregnant and raw. In the e-book she has a section on what to eat while nursing. Just a thought, but you might want to check it out.

I think when you are eating raw you are constantly detoxing until your body reaches its optimal health. But I think eating raw and your body detoxing from this is different from doing a major detox/cleanse. For example like the Master Cleanse, Apple Detox, Colonix Program, etc.. So I apologize, I thought you were talking about doing a major detox/cleanse. And it sounds to me that you were not talking about these. You will know what is best for you.

• I’ve experienced some of the same things as justbeautiful when it comes to detoxing and i normally am fine throughout the day but in the evening i feel like crap. I was wondering should one wait to detox until they are free from stress?

• Hi Miss Thomas, Foods high in zinc are garbanzo beans, green peas, and cabbage. http://www.vegsoc.org/info/zinc.html Something I have done is made a nacho cheese sauce with garbanzo beans, tomato, jalepeno, onion, cumin, garlic and yellow or red bell pepper. If your blender is fast enough it will even get hot. Pour this over bell pepper, zuchini, tomato slices, avocado- or what ever and it would be very filling and keep you from feeling sick around dinner. A little cayene and ginger would be good to add. You could make it into a spicey cheese soup and add broccoli or cauliflower.

The whole idea of detoxing is somewhat confusing to me unless you are on a strict low sugar green drink diet. Otherwise I wonder if people are feeding the candida, and messing with their blood sugar unnecessarily by eating only fruit. In your case it is good that you are allergic to fruit because you should focus on green veges, and proteins. If you have low blood sugar later in the day it could be making you feel sick. For the first few days you should feel lower energy maybe but then you will feel a lot better if you don’t eat sugar.

I get the feeling like you think you need to eat fruits and that is not the case at all. Keep lemons or limes in the diet though because they don’t act the same way in the body- they are the opposite of other fruits. Can you eat lemons?

The other thing is to focus on replenishing your body with nutrients that have probably been depleted from stress which would be zinc and b vitamins. You can even get bottled water drinks now that have b vitamins in them if you don’t want a big bottle of pills.

I hope this helps!

• Yea i can eat lemons. I crave sugar and use fruits as that subsitute. I dont eat as many green vegetable any vegetables as much as i should. I think i am lacking zinc in my diet cause i have small white spots on my nails. I do like beans though just dont know how to go about sprouting them and making them not be so crunchy. Any suggestions?

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Eat pumpkin seeds for zinc. I watched Dr. Mehmet Oz, on Oprah, yesterday. He was talking about food for health. He did a laboratory study of what comes out while on a detox diet. The study showed no difference in released toxins between two groups who had consumed large amounts of alcohol the night before. One ate SAD and the other ate a detox diet. The difference is cleansing out the impacted colon. He thought the diet was good because it’s a jump start into eating healthier. His explanation is that the liver always detoxes whether forced to or not. He also showed experiments that indicated that a person drinking 1/2 gallon of water per day showed no difference over those who don’t. The body gets rid of the excess, our water comes from food. Dr. Doug Graham echos this in his book, 80/10/10.

• Wow I wish I had seen that! The thing is are his diagnostic tests accurate. I was under the impression that liver and kidney disease aren’t usually diagnosed until a person is close to being terminal- so how is what he is doing really seeing what’s going on? I was also told that they can only really see what’s going on in the liver with a liver biopsy, ultrasound, mri, ct scan are only images that aren’t very good. Floating poops also can mean your galbladder isn’t working- plus the people eating cheese and milk were ingensting more fat than usual and their bodies were trying to get rid of it. The other thing is that there are a lot of definitions of what detox is. Ir seems like they were taking very narrow perceptions about what was going on just to say they had covered that topic- end of story. Well if they were that smart and could have an answer for every question with a little 5 person experiment then there wouldn’t be so many sick people in the world. Seriously who was paying them to “cover” the topics and basically belittle them and dismiss them. The same thing happened to my mom when she had breast cancer. The Dr. told her “Well it’s like buying a used car.” When she asked him his advice on what to do. He said, “They’re all bad.” Referring to chemotherapy. Dr.s out there have no compassion for people and basically write you off if you’re sick. If you get sick they say oh- you didn’t eat enough broccoli when people we getting dosed with benzene and poisoned with pesticides when they eat strawberries. There is a collective amnesia among Dr.’s to the actual world out there. It’s really insulting to the public to think we are going to swallow the “answers” these Dr.’s cram down out throats. It’s really SAD!

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

There is no way to know how accurate the tests were unless we had more information than what was given on a one hour show with lots of commercial time. He showed people in laboratories, disecting, flattening, drying, making poop into tablets which were analyzed using several tests. They also analyzed urine samples. Dr. Oz had a camera the size of a capsule, which patients swallow, and he showed pictures of the whole intestinal tract. One of the tests was to show how long it took to be retrieved. This test showed the importance of fiber. It was his opinion that floating poops were a sign that excess fat was being eliminated, a good thing. It was very interesting. I was happy to see an allopathic surgeon consider an alternate health plan consisting of raw food.