edamame

i was getting a salad at a salad bar at a natural food store, and i came across an edamame salad, i only got a little bit, cause i wasn’t entirely sure it was raw. all the other ingredients were raw, i think it was only carrot, olive oil and lemon juice. but i’ve never tasted raw edamame, so i don’t know how soft/crunchy it is supposed to be. anyone know?

Comments

• I’ve only ever seen edamame frozen, with and without the outer pod.. and you have to put them into boiling water for three minutes to cook them.

IF they were raw, i’d love to get my hands on some! Edamame is awesome. It’s probably the only soy product i could see myself trusting at this point.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

then i am guessing they weren’t raw. strange, the first bite i took, they tasted weird to me, then the 3rd or 4th bite, i thought it tasted great. then about 15 minutes later i felt tired and almost woozy. i suppose as far as cooked food goes, it wasn’t the worst thing i could have eaten. are they really crunchy when they are raw? these were about the consistentsy of a raw lima bean.

• i’ve never seen them raw anywhere.. i’d assume they’re very starchy and crunchy.. rather than the pleasantly soft with a slight crunch that the cooked tend to be. actually, come to think of it, i’m not sure if you can eat them raw. anyone??

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Generally when you freeze a veggie it is blanched in boiling water before hand. I also love edamame. From what I’ve read, if you are going to eat soy ,these whole unprocessed forms are the healthiest. Soy doesn’t bother me but it doesn’t agree with some peaople, my sister being one of them! If you are eating a transitional diet or high raw and soy agrees with you then it is an excellent source of protein and fiber.

• This summer we grew edamame at the farm I worked on…it was delicious raw. I doubt you could find raw edamame commercially though. I did get nervous when I was eating it about if it was okay to be eating it raw. I don’t remember any digestion problems after really though. Either way, delicious and not at all hard to grow.

• Just yesterday I was riding my bike through some farm lands and I found dozens of acres of raw edemame growing. I couldnt help but try a few pods and they were pretty tasty. They taste much more earthy than the cooked version. Kind of similar to sprouts.