organic a must?

I am making the change for my family of soon to be 7 and honestly buying organic is costly. Do you have to buy organic or is there a way to special wash these items if non- organic? If it is a must ; we will do what we have to do of course. I appreciate your helpful opinions and ideas. Thank you,Missa& Family

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

It is not necessary for you to buy everything organic. Just be wary of the Dirty Dozen. 1)Peaches 2) Apples 3) Sweet Bell Peppers 4) Celery 5) Nectarines 6) Strawberries 7) Cherries 8) Pears 9) Grapes (imported) 10) Spinach 11) Lettuce 12) Potato (includes Yam and Sweet potato)

I completely understand with the pricing and all but make sure you steer clear from these fruits and veggies. They were tested to contain high amounts of pesticide residues. The cleanest fruits and veggies are:

1)onions 2)Avocados 3)Pineapples 4)Mangoes 5)Asparagus 6)Kiwi 7)Bananas 8)Cabbage 9)Broccoli 10)Papayas

Happy shopping! Vaughn

• Thank you so much Vaughn! That helps alot:),Missa

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

also, think outside the supermarket. go to localharvest.org to find organic farms (and farmstands), csa (where you buy a share in a farms crops) and co-ops. these are often great deals, much cheaper than the regular supermarket. you may have someone right around the corner from you selling super nutrient-dense foods at affordable rates.

non-organics may be cheaper, but you are supporting a system that is incredibly expensive (you pay in taxes rather than at the supermarket!) and detrimental to the environment. this said, i can’t buy organic ALL the time either… slowly slowly…

• Vaughn, are you sure about the bananas. I used to think that as well but in Renne Loux Underkoffler’s book Living Cuisine she says that non-organic bananas grown outside of are harvested early and then gassed to ripen. I ask because I was under the same impression but after reading that can not bring myself to buy non-organic bananas anymore. Also, I understand that buying exclusivley organic can be very expensive, and pianissima makes a great point about shopping local. I would also look into foods that are typically being grown with GMOs and try to avoid them as well. They are becoming a serious threat to our produce, espcially with corn and tomatoes.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I don’t buy organic. Here in the UK it costs double the amount of regular and the selection is dire. I just think it is more important for me to be 100% raw than 100% organic. I go to the supermarket in the evening and get organic stuff that is reduced though. I am looking forward to when it is possible for me to eat only organic, and grow my own food.

Since I went raw over 2 years ago I just feel better and better and this is on bog standard supermarket/market raw food, no supplements, no superfoods….so I can’t wait till I am 100%organic and raw!