Raw Dairy?

It is quite difficult to find raw cheeses, yogurts, milk, etc. & often when I ask about it, people are very quick to stress the dangers of unpasteurized products. I have found local goat farms that will sell unpasteurized milk, but even they discourage it & make you sign a waiver—listing Several Serious diseases you could get. Now I’m SUPER NERVOUS & not sure what to do.

Comments

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

This particular site is vegan so you might not get much support here. I wouldn’t worry about the dangers of unpasteurized milk, they just have to cover their bums in case of any kind of incident. You have to remember, germs are not necessarily harmful, they only attack the sick. If you would like to consume dairy, raw is the way to do it, I know plenty of people who do and they report no problem. Just make sure that those farmers are clean and don’t give their animals any kind of antibiotics. It you could find a certified organic farmer, that would be ideal. Like I said, this site is vegan. I personally don’t advocate eating animal products and find milk consumption un-natural. But I will not hound anyone for wanting to, if you feel you need it, you know best. Try to find a source where the animals are ethically treated if you can, and organic for your own health. I hope this is helpful :c)

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

You could be on the safe side and not eat it!

• Morning_theft, yeah I should have realized that, but thank you for offering help. I have definitely considered cutting out all dairy completely for various reasons, especially the issue of ethical treatment of the animals. Do you supplement with something? I have even heard that humans don’t actually absorb that much calcium from dairy & it has even been shown to have adverse effects concerning bone density, not to mention it is one of the most difficult things for our bodies to digest. Do you just use nut milks? (I don’t really like the taste of dairy milk, but use it w/other foods occassionally.) Know of anything similar to yogurt? (That’s really been the only difficult one for me.)

• anything that someone would make me sign a waiver in order to consume.. well i wouldn’t consume it! Maybe take it as a sign that you shouldn’t be eating/drinking animal products at all? :)

I believe there are some recipes here for a coconut yogurt.. maybe a cashew yogurt..

I use almond milk almost always. Once i tried making sesame milk, and it was alright. Apparently you can make almost any kind of nut/seed milk. I really want to try hazelnut milk. mmm.

There are tons of sites and blogs out there for raw foods. .i’m sure once you start searching you’ll find a couple really good yogurt recipes and/or milk/cheese ones. :)

• raw_earthraw_earth Raw Newbie

ALL1E,

I’ve been consuming raw dairy for over 2 years now on a pretty regular basis, and I’ve never once had a problem. For me, adding raw goat’s milk or cow’s milk cheeses and egg yolks were the missing link in my diet. Raw vegan didn’t work for me, but everyone’s body is different and some people seem to thrive on a vegan diet. I’ve also been lucky with being able to find it in my local health food stores, which is a definite plus! I do wish I could buy right off the farm though, because it would be so much fresher, but the nearest to me are several hours away.

Good luck with whatever you choose!