preparation for going raw...?

what would you reccomend for the first week of food in a shopping list? that has all the nutrients, under a budget of $40? i have my list, yet i’d appreciate any tips/advice. i will be shopping at a farmers market, asain market, & health food store. i have a blender, & a little food proccesser….for starters. thank you in advance!...even if you took time to read this.

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Cauliflower and brown coconut both can be used as “rice”.

Romaine leuttice for wraps.

Sunflower seeds for pate, milk and cheeze.

Pineapple for juice and just coz it is gorgeous.

Apples to add to salads and wraps.

Basil coz it makes everything seem so much better.

Avocado.

Flax seeds for crackers.

Dates for sweetner.

Kale or other greens.

Some seeds for sprouting.

• Bananas are inexpensive, and make wonderful smoothies. I don’t know where you live, but apples and pears are in season here; you could probably find those cheap at the farmers’ market. I’m personally not a big fan of winter squashes, but I’m trying to learn to like them because they’re cheap and plentiful in the fall and winter. :-)

Peace and Blessings, Suzy

• I don’t know about other raw food eaters, but there’s practically no way I could live on under $40 a week in food. I am trying my best to budget on $10-15 per day, but that takes careful planning for me. I’m sure it depends on where you live, but organic produce and nuts are expensive and if you want them fresh you can’t buy in large bulk either. If I were going to try and eat as cheap as possible and still stay raw, I would buy a couple heads of lettuce, some lemons, a few veggies to add to a salad and some bananas and apples and I would just eat tons of salads. I’m definitely not trying to discourage you, just trying to be realistic. Best wishes, Julie

• no i do understand. the only person that can discourage me, is myself. thank you. yes careful planning has already taken it’s coarse. i have been reading every book i can get my hands on, web sites, & videos… yet i haven’t really had the oppertunity to talk to actual people. i have resources from two gardens. with that i’m planning on getting the necessities first, & sparingly from the gardens last. i’m sorry i didn’t write that earlier, it was early for me…& i wasn’t thinking in detail. Again thank you all very much =)

• rawmaidenrawmaiden Raw Newbie

Hi purebeaut,

it all depends on how many you are feeding. if it’s just you, you may be able to manage well if you are taking from the gardens and depends what you are getting from the gardens as well. Have you thought of a co-op or csa? and get what is in season, now is the time for apples, squash, pumpkin, root vegies are coming soon too.