Exercise and Detox

Hi there I’m currently training for a marathon (my 5th) but really want to eat more raw food too. I know its possible to run on a raw diet (see runningraw.com) but is it possible to incorporate 100% raw during intense training.

I normally have a fruit smoothie for breakfast, and a green juice - usually spinach, orange, apples and grapes. Sometimes i'll have a salad with seeds on it. I snack on fruit and a few nuts throughout the day but have a 'normal' meal with the family which is rarely vegetarian and always cooked.

I’m worried that if i go 100% raw the detox will be so great that i wont be able to train, this isn’t an option for me as im training other people too. Would i be able to eat raw if i included more fats from nuts and avocados and perhaps some seeds. I dont have a dehydrator yet so cant make some of the more filling breads and crackers.

Any advice welcome,

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

My husband didn’t have any detox symptoms at all when he went 100% a couple of years ago. Maybe that was because it took him 3 years to transition!

I think that you could give it a go and if you feel and unpleasant symptoms then just eat some cooked vegan food and it will stop rght away. That has been my experience. When I went 100% I got a lot of emotional stuff coming up, some stomach pains and tiredness… if I got sick of it and just wanted a break from it then I would eat something cooked and immediately it all went away and I felt like a normal person again. It was a massive lesson for me. You can totally control your detox. You should give 100% a go… I mean it there’s a possibility that 100 % could give you a new record time, and enhance your performance like nothing else too.

Drink plenty of green juices and smoothies to help balance yourself.

• Thanks Zoe I’m planning a 100% raw day tomorrow as my husband is staying away. hes a typical meat and 2 veg type guy and although he thinks im a bit wierd he just accepts my ‘strange’ ways and will sometimes try the things i produce. I’ve some hemp seeds soaking right now to make some hemp milk for tomorrow, i’ll let you know how it goes.

• It’s funny because when I went 100% raw my body told me to train for a marathon. My whole life I was a gymnast/cheerleader and the running world was so new to me. I trained for a 1/2 marathon a month into going raw and a month after running daily. I was up to 45 miles a week on my plan. Unfortunately, I hurt my groin/hamstring and was not able to run the marathon. It’s been 3+ months and it’s healing still. I can not wait to get back into running when I’m healed. I would suggest that you eat enough to last through your runs and find the loving foods that work for you. Mine were cherries and cantaloupe. Everyone is different but from my experience, raw fruit and veggies can only help with athletics. Good Luck!!

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Try reading Brendan Brazier’s book The Thrive Diet. He’s a professional althelete and competes in marathons also. I can’t remember if he mentioned anything about detox symptoms, but he does have some good pre/post excerise recipes. Hope that helps!