sick & juice

every morning i make myself a green juice. usually this makes me feel GREAT. however, for 3 days i’ve also been having wheatgrass beforehand and then on an empty stomach before dinner. the wheatgrass made me feel a little queasy, but i wanted to try it as there is so much hype over it’s health benefits. anyway, this morning after my green drink (no wheatgrass), i felt more nauseous than i have EVER felt before and threw up.

this gives me the sense that wheatgrass (and juices in general?) might be a bit too much for my system.

please let me know if you know more than i do (you must!).

=)

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I had my juice on an empty stomach yesterday and felt like I was going to throw up for a few hours. It was beet, celery, carrot and apple. I have heard that you are supposed to gradually increase your amount of wheatgrass because it can cause nasea. But I was surprised my innocent little juice had that effect on me.

I read the reason why wheatgrass does this in several different places online when I was researching wheatgrass a few months ago. Some sites say you should have it on empty stomach to avoid nausea (?) Others say that it may start an immediate reaction with toxins and mucus in the stomach and thus cause nausea. Others say that if your wheatgrass has mould on it and it not top notch quality it causes nausea. Maybe you need to check your source. Apparantly it is common for wheatgrass to have this mould on it.

• I sometimes get nauseated from Wheat Grass juice and sometimes not. I’m a believer in the mold theory.

Any sprouts or micro-greens can easily grow mold and it doesn’t matter how high-quality they are!!! The spores float around in the air. The best thing to do, IMHO, is to spritz them right before consumption with Hydrogen Peroxide and then rinse well. HP is very safe and you can gargle with it. If you hear a fizzy sound, then be very glad you chose to spray and rinse!

Beet juice is one to watch for gastric upset. I don’t drink it any more for that reason.

I have adjusted my Wheatgrass juice consumption to be 1-2 ounces max. Other than beets, I can tolerate nearly all other juices. Lemon or cranberry can even make some of the more bitter greens taste OK.

On a regular basis, however, green smoothies, are less costly and taste better to me than juicing.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i don’t grow my own so i’d feel a little weird leaning over the counter with my hydrogen peroxide bottle before they juice it.

it’s interesting you guys mention the mold thing. hmmm…

i will try HP from now on on my sprouts though. i didn’t realize it was safe.

so do you think wheatgrass is all it’s cracked up to be? it there something else i should try instead?

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Also, beets in a juicer that is centrifuge-in-type vs the twin gears of the GreenStar can oxidize quickly which can add to stomach upset. So, if you juice beets, you should drink it fairly quickly (within 15 minutes of juicing) if you use any juicer other than a GreenStar.

Wheatgrass is funny. Sometimes it bothers me and sometimes it doesn’t.

Kristen Suzanne 

• My stomach is fine with wheatgrass, either on an empty stomach or full. Sprouts are another story, though. I can eat them fine, but I cannot juice them or blend them in a smoothie without gagging.

Just this morning I tried. This morning I made THE most DISGUSTING green smoothie (or any type of food) of my life. It was: one young coconut with water and meat, one lemon, two cups of spinach, two cups of kale, two cups of dandelion greens, one avocado, three bananas, and, the villian, one cup of broccoli sprouts.

I gagged even as washed it down the kitchen sink.

• wheatgrass is VERY detoxing so that could be it as well. how much are you drinking at a time? beets are also detoxing, the greens especially.