Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Starch?

Someone mentioned to me today that the raw food diet is a great thing (he’s a surprisingly enlightened doc :P) but that the body also needs starch.

I’m aware that you get starch in potatoes (can’t eat raw) and I tried making a hummus with raw grated sweet potato, but didn’t really like the taste.

What else can be eaten for starch and is it a necessity?

Thanks guys! :)

Comments

• I’ve made “potato chips” with white potatoes in the dehydrator =) And there is starch in corn, peas, seeds; really most fruits and vegetables contain starch because starch is a carbohydrate or natural sugar in foods.

• That is simply not true, we do not need any starch in the body. Why would he say that? In fact starches cause many of the modern diseases known to man. Try not eating starches for as long as you want and you will not feel worse but feel much better. Doug Graham has not eaten starch in 27 years and he is the healthiest person I know on the planet.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i make mashed sweet potatos with pecans,cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and agave.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I make yam fries. You could also make chips using the same idea.

• I dehydrated some thinly sliced sweet potatoes (or maybe they were yams) and they came out really dry and yucky. I sprayed them with olive oil and sprinkled with a little salt. Did I do something wrong? I really miss sweet potatoes. :(

• it could depends on ones body type, every ones different but it might be that beginners have a hard time getting off starch myself being one of them …..........try using buckwheat sprouts a very starchy grain and one of the most nutritions , use as cereal fresh or dehydrated, make bread with it,raw oatmeal

• Thanks for all the help guys, will try and see how I feel without starch as I don’t have a dehydrator. We don’t get them here! Thanks again :)

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

SoCal. Dr. Graham suggests eating an 80% carb. diet. It would be impossible to not eat any starches with this plan. Just as there are covert fats in produce, there are also covert starches. Dr. Graham’s menu plans (in his book 80/10/10) include bananas which contain resistant starches.

Resistant Starch

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

rediscoverrawfood – have you tried kandace’s recipe for sweet potato chips here

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/172-Spicy-Yam-Chips

It is really good.

• 123, Yes you are correct, un-ripe fruits do contain starches but ripe ones contain only traces of starch. The 811 diet doesn’t include any fruit that is not at it’s peak ripeness. Dr. McDougall is well respected in reversing heart disease and the like but starches are unhealthy because of their digestability – McDougall ignores that. Nothing should be fermented in the large intestine, fermentation creates toxins. The soluable fibers of ripe fruits and leafy vegetables is all we need to have a healthy digestion. Pick up Doug’s grain damage book for a few reasons why starches are a poor food for us. We do have identical nutritional needs, if we were all brought up from birth (even before birth) with the correct nutrition and if we all reverse the damage that we caused prior in life we will all be in optimal condition with the correct nutrition. It’s just a matter of getting back to a state of health, in many cases that will require an extended fast and possibly years of living correctly.

Those are a lot of “ifs”. Having only one optimal diet is a Utopian concept. Until we, as a species, get our health under control, we need different diets. People with Celiac’e disease and people with MS can’t eat gluten. People with MS shouldn’t eat legumes or saturated fats. People with diabetes need lower glycemic foods. Those with allergies have immune responses to the foods in which they are sensitive. In that respect, only one diet does not fit all. The one area that we have in common is that we can prepare, or eat naturally hygenic, raw fruits and vegetables, for better health. Not all people can eat all things. I hope we all make it to Utopia!

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

you can soak quinoa and eat that. it is really good, low fat and high in protein.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

hannahmarie~ How long do you soak the quinoa for? What do you do with them after you soak them?

• Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys, much appreciated! :)

• 123, interesting that all of the foods you say people with some disease need to avoid are all not eaten on the 811rv diet. It excludes all forms of gluten, legumes, saturated fat, and it actually cures many diabetics allowing them to eat all the sweet fruits they want. Just a coincidence I suppose.

Good point. It doesn’t account for allergens though.

Consider that any “disease”, what ever name has been given to a set of symptoms (allergy, cancer, MS, etc.), is an indication (a cry) that the body is not getting what it needs to fix/defend itself. Using this “model” of wellbeing explains why some people see improvement from a variety of approaches. Different “deficiencies” express themselves differently in different people. I think this is because “we” tend to pigeonhole symptoms as what is actually going on. This is to say, if someone has “diabetes”, there is a problem with the pancreas. Maybe there is a problem with the heart of one person with diabetes and the body is robbing the pancreas for needed materials? In another diabetic, the liver has an issue and the body is stealing from the pancreas… This also explains why, in my experience, I have never seen a person who only has

bluedolfin- i usually just soak it overnight and it gets soft enough (sometimes 24 hours). i like adding it to veggie salads (just a bunch of chopped up veggies).

Thank you hannahmarie~ I love quinoa and have been looking for ways to add grains without sprouting them (I’m not very good at doing what it takes to do that).

no problem, you can also just soak and eat raw oat grouts. i actually like soaking the grouts, making oat milk, straining through a cheese cloth, and eating the leftover pulp as oatmeal… it is really good!

This is exciting hannahmarie~ (ok, I admit it, I have no life if making oat milk and raw oatmeal is exciting…) Does the oat milk just magically happen or do you blend the oats and water like when making nut milks? What is the ratio of water to oats that you use? How long does the oat milk last? I’m kinda into doing bulk prep… can ya get how I “cook” things like this? ... Ok no life, anal, not good with plants or other repetitious task… Sound like the ideal soulmate for anyone out there? :-)

ha ha, bluedolfin. um, yeah, exactly like nut milk. i like it because i like the taste and it is way cheaper than the other stuff(at my co-op ROG are only $.99/lb). i would say experiment with the ratio to your liking. i only make a blender-full at once so i am not sure how long it lasts?

:-) hannahmarie~ Thanks for the info. Will you give me a hint to the ratio of water to oats to start with? Making a blender full at a time sounds great! I saw grouts at Jimbos near me that are also $.99/lb. I have a list started of stuff that I need from there.

BTW, an alternative to using cheese cloth (you use that and you are vegan? ;-) ) is to use an unused nylon paint strainer bag. They are really inexpensive and are washable/reusable. The mesh is very fine and strong. I’ve strained raspberries though one and I could squeeze the juice out to point that there was almost only seeds left. Not good for the hands though… bright red from the raspberries!!!

• I eat sweet potatoes raw … No need to dehydrate; they’re delicious just as they are – thickly or thinly sliced, depending on what you feel like.

bluedolfin.. wait, are you making a joke? my cheese cloth is just cotton? nothing un-vegan..

I would say use maybe even a cup of ROG to a blend of water, there is no reason not to start with more because you can always add more water if it is too thick for your taste.

hehehe hannamarie~ Yes, I am joking (notice the wink in the message). Thankx for the starting “recipe” for the ROG milk.

ok, i submitted a recipe to this site, now everyone can be in the know.