Grawnola Help!

hey everyone,

i am trying to make the famous grawnola recipe on the site but dont know how to sprout buckwheat. i soaked it a LONG time. maybe,... 10 hours. it didn’t seem to get too much bigger though, but i’m sure it was raw (got it from Capers, and it made the slimy water when i soaked it), so, how do i sprout the buckwheat (if i’ve got to, i’d prefer to not…)

THANKS GONERAWERRRS!

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Hi gemmer~

I have the darkest thumb around so I have no clue. However, I’m a bit anal so I will refer to some experts on the subject. Goto: http://www.sproutpeople.com/seed/bwgroats.html. You will probably get more info from others on the site also.

Happy Sprouting!

PS. Thanks for reminding me… I better water my one last bamboo plant that I haven’t, um, brought to an untimely demise… yet. :-z

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I sprout pretty regularly and I’m having a tough time with the buckwheat. I lost my first batch to mold (STINKY!) and started over. I only soaked the second batch a couple of hours. I have rinsed them 3 times a day and 1 or 2 times per day i have to soak them in a weak peroxide solution so they don’t sour. I buy the 35% stuff from the health food store and add 15-20 drops and soak about 5 min. I do this after I have rinsed and rinsed and rinsed! This is the 3rd day and I think they are going in the dehydrator tonight so I can make buckwheaties. I just buy the hulled buckwheat groats at the HFS and they are sprouting OK. Good Luck

• it really is very simple….place in bowl,cover with water,let sit for 6-8hrs,drain and rinse until the water runs clear,place back in the bowl,cover with a towel and let sit for a day or a day and half…this is the way i have always done it and i have always sprouted small tails in a day…chefraw.com

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I use a colander to rinse and sprout. I soak the groats in a jar for 30 minutes or so, dump them in a colander and rinse. I put the colander in a bowl a little larger and cover with a towel. I rinse them once or twice a day and let them sprout for two days. I then pour them on a styrofoam or paper plate and pop them into the dehydrater. When they’re dry, I fold the plate in half and use it as a funnel and pour them into a jar. I mix them with nuts, seeds, coconut and goji berries. Voila, cereal. No mess.