Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fat cravings

Hello everyone! I’ve been mostly raw for 2 months. It started to get cold here in Quebec, Canada and I’ve found myself eating a little too much fat than usual (like eating spoonfuls of nut butters in the evening). I know this may be more a psychological thing but I’d like to overcome those fat cravings. I’m doing great on raw foods but eating that fat makes my digestion sluggish. Any tips? Moral support for the upcoming months would be appreciated :) Thanks!

Comments

• Nezumi, I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this as well. I have heard that when you have cravings like that eat copious amounts of low calorie fruits/veggies melons, cucumbers and celery. This sometimes works for me when I get a fat craving. I really can’t have nut butters around when I have the craving for them….one spoon leads to another leads to half the jar.

• green juices are REALLY delicious and satisfy my cravings for nuts and seeds. Alot of people say green smoothies also help with cravings.

• I am “recovering” from a three day span of consuming farrrr too many fats. It started with cashews and dates, then cashews again, then cashews, then macadamia nuts, and then finally ended with avocadoes. Ugh, it was the worst.

Anywho, i’m not sure what happened or why i felt like i had to eat so much fat, but I’m feeling better about things today. I started the day off with about 30 ounces of green smoothie [about a half lb of spinach, 1 sm mango, 1 sm banana].. and hopefully that will pull me out of the fat rut.

I’d be interested in any possible reasons or causes of my sudden feeling of a fat famine. ..

• I had fat cravings the past few days, but its been tapering off. It started as craving cashews and nuts butters (with dates), as well as an avocado a day for lunch. Now I find I’m not really eating so many cashews, but I still have a few dates at night with nut butter. I have one avocado left to eat but I’m not really craving it. The only thing I thik I’ve done differently has been to only eat fruit in the AM. Then I’ve been having a nice big salad for lunch. At night I get protien cravings, so I have some nuts, but its really not that many at all… maybe a handful total. I haven’t craved avocado or significant amounts of nut butters. I’ve also been drinking almond milk more than usual though. I put cinnamon on top. I wonder if the cinnamon is helping in any way?

Anyway I wasn’t trying to get over any fat cravings but it seemed to have happened anyway. Maybe what I did will give you all some ideas. :)

• I’m struggling with this same issue, especially eating a lot of nut butters. But I’m wondering about the advice that’s so often given to ”...listen to your body…” If your body is telling you that you need more fat because of winter’s approach, then why not give it more fat? Maybe the fat is good for you, and exactly what you need? I don’t want to complicate your issue, and this is an honest inquiry.

It’s been a challenge for me to learn the “listen to your body” message. How do we learn to separate psychological cravings from physical cravings?

• I’ve come to learn that I can’t keep nut butters in the house. Once I start with just a little, it becomes an addiction…. and not much later, a good portion of the jar is gone!

However, I do believe in the need for nuts and seeds in a raw diet. They are just too good for you to leave out! To keep things in control, instead of eating them by themselves, I do this:

- sprinkle hemp seeds on top of sushi (nori) rolls

- grind flaxseed & use as a topping for banana ice cream

- use sunflower seeds in vegetable sunburgers (dehydrated)

This way, I can’t OD on seeds or nuts, because I’m eating them along with a fair amount of veggies & fruits. I’m using them as a “accent,” rather than the main course. And it takes some time to prepare these dishes, so that also lets my mind settle down.

Also, for avocados, which I use sparingly, I try to use 1/2 of one in the blender in a cold soup. So the same concept applies here—not to avoid the healthy fats, but to use them in moderation, in a conscious, non-addictive way.

It’s so funny, because raw things like nut butters, can be as addictive as chocolate or chips!

• I’ve come to learn that I can’t keep nut butters in the house. Once I start with just a little, it becomes an addiction…. and not much later, a good portion of the jar is gone!

However, I do believe in the need for nuts and seeds in a raw diet. They are just too good for you to leave out! To keep things in control, instead of eating them by themselves, I do this:

- sprinkle hemp seeds on top of sushi (nori) rolls - grind flaxseed & use as a topping for banana ice cream - use sunflower seeds in vegetable sunburgers (dehydrated)

This way, I can’t OD on seeds or nuts, because I’m eating them along with a fair amount of veggies & fruits. I’m using them as a “accent,” rather than the main course. And it takes some time to prepare these dishes, so that also lets my mind settle down.

Also, for avocados, which I use sparingly, I try to use 1/2 of one in the blender in a cold soup. So the same concept applies here—not to avoid the healthy fats, but to use them in moderation, in a conscious, non-addictive way.

It’s so funny, because raw things like nut butters, can be as addictive as chocolate or chips!

• Soaking of nuts improves digestibility and assimilation of nutrients. Soaking also initiates sprouting process and multiplies the vitamin content of the nuts along with activation of enzymes. So everynight I soak 6-8 almonds and eat first thing in the morning (de-skin the almonds before eating). Every morning I soak 6-8 Walnut halves and eat in the evening after I return from work (along with a fistful of soaked raisins). This way I keep my daily intake of fat in control. I always try to avoid eating dry nuts (unsoaked). Make it a habit. I also suggest not buying nut butters.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

GREENS! GREENS! GREENS! whenever i find myself craving fat this tells me i need more greens.

i’m a little skeptical of the “listen to your body” approach. once you get into you raw groove and feel great, i have no doubt that you will have an open and truthful dialogue with your body… but if you aren’t feeling great, something is up. coffee drinkers listen to their body and drink more coffee, some bodies crave hamburgers. maybe you only THINK that is what your body is trying to tell you.

too much fat, raw or otherwise, is just not a good idea. and btw, mango woman, neither cashews nor mac nuts are raw. (i didn’t understand why until i googled it and read an explanation, which is basically: cashews are actually a seed from a fruit. the layer that protects the seed is poisonous and needs to be boiled off.) mac nuts tend to be heat-treated if i am not mistaken. so, that might also be why you were feeling not great.

• Thanks for the tip pianissima, but my cashews and macs were certified raw. I won’t eat regular nuts from a random store- I buy them from a reputable company who specializes in raw foods. :]

• pianissima< GREENS! GREENS! GREENS! whenever i find myself craving fat this tells me i need more greens.

Greens is the ultimate (lost)secret of foods..99.999999% of the animals (umm includes us humans too) on this planet are green leafy eaters, they live happy and healthy lives.

Soaking all nuts and seeds ahead releases the enzyme inhibitors, does make them more digestible and brings them back to life (if they are truly RAW). If you are eating too much commercial, jarred Raw Nut Butters, make them yourself so you control how much you make and wont have too much tempting you. Remember to Balance your Greens, Raw Fats and Fresh Fruits and it will center you for optimum Energy! In Belize they grow lots of Cashews and the Fruit that the cashew grows on is quite amazing, love eating lots of Cashew Fruit Juice. (Sorry dreaming of Warm Caribbean Weather now!)

• Thanks for the advice everyone! Seems I’m not the only one craving fat recently, heehee. I’ve been drinking a lot of green smoothies (about two per day) I guess since I’m pretty active, I can allow myself another one, yum! I think I just bought my last nut butter jar…

• Oh no! That means throwing out the tahini… gulp! Soaking sesame seeds for future use and grind them can it turn out as good as tahini?

• If you have a decent food processor or a juicer with a homogenizer then it’ll turn out just fine! You MIGHT need to dry the seeds out a teeny bit before grinding them up.. but i’m not sure.

• i crave fats, too…and i try to limit my nuts. but sometimes, the beast gets the best of you! i find that eating an avocado instead of nuts is helpful…the fats in avocado actually help break up cholesterol…and if i DO eat nuts, i try to get my portion out and sit down with it, and eat it VEEERRRYYY SSSLLLOOOWWWLLLYYY…chew and chew and chew…people underestimate the power of saliva to break stuff down. it really is the first step in digestion. ‘chew your drinks and drink your food’, i once read; meaning basically, everything you swallow should be liquified and mixed well with saliva. this makes digestion much easier. have you ever made nut cheeses? those are concentrated proteins, but they’re partially digested already by good bacteria. you can dip veggies in it for a quick late-night snack and it’s way lighter than plain nuts or butters…

• kauaigirlkauaigirl Raw Newbie

These may be kind of “out there” for some people but I find it helpful when I’m feeling heavy and craving fats (almost always). Remember that we are going through a HUGE transition on earth right now. Without fats we may become too sensitive or ungrounded. Also, as David Wolfe says, having “guilt, fear, or shame” about anything you are eating is not what you want to be focused on.

Not sure where I got this but it was in a list of Ascension Symptoms:

“WEIGHT GAIN: This is a very common complaint. The body feels like it is being invaded so it adds a layer of protection. If you are a Lightworker than additional water is needed to create energy. If you don