Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Being raw and pregnant

My DH and I are trying to get pregnant but I am unsure about being raw while pregnant. Is it safe for the baby? Will the baby get enough nutrients?

Comments

• juicyjuicy Raw Newbie

By no means am I an expert on raw food although I think I have read enough about raw food, juicing, and nutrition to almost be certified lol.
    I find your question amazing because so many people ask this question. I love how people that are on the SAD and getting little to no nutrition can be pregnant and such with out even questioning, but when one goes on a extremely high nutrient diet, raw food, they question if it is safe for the baby.
    My response would be OF COURSE. You are only doing something positive for your body, and this would definitely benefit your baby.
    I have also heard and read of many families who’s kids have been raw babies since conception. Best of luck.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Yes, Yes, Yes, it is safe! Please go to thegardendiet.com and get Jinjee’s book “Raw Pregnancy, Ecstatic Birth” It is a very useful ebook full of great info for a raw pregnancy and raising raw kids. If I get pregnant again, it is most definitely going to be a raw pregnancy.

• I had a raw pregnancy and it was fantastic! I didn’t get any of the symptoms alot of women suffer from like morning sickness, acid reflux, major weight gain, etc and was just healthy and full of bliss throughout. I also had a fantastic home birth with absolutely no complications and my son was born strong and healthy. So go for it, raw food is the best thing you could possibly give a growing fetus.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

There are some raw books out there that specifically address pregnancy. Conscious Eating by Gabriel Cousens(one of my fav’s-sorry I quote from it so much!LOL) Has a great chapter that rec’s starting one year prior to conception, if possible, working on both your nutrition and emotional health. I’m sure there are other good references as well out there.I wish you well!

• I thought I miscarried in August. I was only a week or so pregnant. I had two ultrasounds in early sept., both showed empty sac, and my uterus measured 5 weeks. My blood tests still indicate HCG at low levels…decreasing little by little since September after a surge. However, I am gaining a little weight. I notice that I am having trouble with my waistline. I have been feeling little movements, mostly when I am sitting. I wonder if I am in fact still pregnant. My midwife says that we will not be able to detect anything on an ultrasound with this low a level of HCG.
    I have been bleeding for about 9 days, with some clotting. I eat predominantly raw foods and wonder if maybe that has something to do with low HCG levels. As I know not much research has been done on the subject of Raw Vegan diet, but I do know that it changes your alkaline/acid balance…and a lot more (for the better)! So, what else could those little movements be? Any ideas?

• rawmumma, what did you eat when pregnant? What did you avoid? I’m hoping to become pregnant and would like to have a diet that would stand up to scrutiny. I tracked my eating for a couple of days (100% raw) and was consistently very low in iron and calcium. Also, the recommended carb, fat, protein ratios seemed impossible to achieve. I’m going to be 40 in March and had 2 miscarriages this year – so it’s hard not to be obsessive about it all.

Sorry jaime, I don’t know what to say. If you were 4 months pregnant by now you would definitely be able to see the baby on an ultrasound the HCG wouldn’t really have anything to do with that as far as I know.

• Jamie,

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. I’ve been through 4 miscarriages myself (all while on the SAD). I think the little movements you are feeling are most likely your uterus trying to shed it’s thickened lining (since you were pregnant your body was producing more progesterone to strengthen your uterus enough to support a growing fetus). I bled for 6 or 7 weeks after my first miscarriage.

However, miracles can, and do happen. I know what a roller coaster of emotions you are experiencing.