Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How much do you spend a week?

SystemSystem Raw Newbie

Hi all!

I saw this discussion on rawfoods.com, and interested about how it is for you.

On average, how much do you spend per week on food, for yourself only? And am I the only one going to the grocery store almost every day to get some fresh stuff?

To answer my own question, I don’t know the exact amount, but I figure between 60 and 80$, depending on the week.

Thanks!

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

$90-$100

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

That’s a good question…I find myself going to the store a couple times, so I never really keep track. Does eating out count in this?

• Priceless OnePriceless One Raw Newbie

That is hard to separate out because I have 4 kids who share my food but I am going to estimate at about $40-$50. Of course, if you ask my hubby he will tell you that I have no real clue of money and how much I spend. :)

• rae-deanrae-dean Raw Newbie

i spent about 30-50$ for me.my problem is i cann’t pass up a raw food cookbook.

• $60-80. I spent about $150 at Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods this weekend. I live about 50 miles away and had to stock up! Rae-Dean, I can’t pass up cookbooks either! I read them cover to cover like novels! I have 2 on the way from Ebay and I can’t wait until they get here.

• rae-deanrae-dean Raw Newbie

me too GIRLYGIRL! i love them and they as so interesting.i was walking yesterday and saw tons and tons of danelion plants just covered everywhere.that would lower the cost of having to buy greens. i may go pick them.then it is getting ready to be time for spring and rhubarb and such-will be coming on.last yr some neighbors for whatever reason-had tons of plums and they let everyone have tons of plums for free.i canned them all up cause i was not raw yet.then me and the kids picked tons of free apples that were growing by the river. i dried those and made applesauce-a freezer full.so there is ways to do things cheaper,i suppose.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

$60 – $100 it depends on what I get. Things that last awhile but are expensive that I replenish would be coconut oil, flax seed oil, olive oil, carab powder, honey and I am a seasoning, spice and herb freak. I use the coconut oil and olive oil more for topical use so it goes fast. Vanilla is an arm and 1/2 a leg but I get it. I don’t use the vanilla extract or flavor. On a cheap and simple week I can spend around $20 just getting some greens and a abundance of fruit.

• about $100 – $120 a week

• I’m about $60/week

• Approximately $75/week (for two adults)!! Everything in Hawaii is expensive so I spend most of my money in the produce dept. Luckily we have an herb garden and an abundance of fruit trees where I make fresh squeezed lemonade, orange juice, and lime-ade. The local KTA market has good prices. My co-workers exchange fruits & veggies from our gardens. Sometimes another will go salmon fishing, while another will share an overload of almost ripened bananas, mangoes, zucchini, etc. Our church always donates food each Sunday. I mainly simmer my meals with a covered lid. For baking, we use Milkman lowfat milk. I like sun tea and just 1 teabag will yield 1 quart.

• 100-120 a week

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

About £100/week for two of us. Yup I go to the shops every day for more fresh stuff. And raw food weighs heavier than cooked food, so lugging those shpooing bags is making my arms all toned! Still, we save money because of the things we don’t buy anymore: coffee, cakes, sandwiches, chips, crisps, meals out, fizzy drinks, alcohol, junk food, chocolate, they all cost a lot.

• Debbie5125Debbie5125 Raw Newbie

For my family (hubby and three year old twins) I spend about $150-$175 a week. That included about 2/3 produce and the rest are grains and some proteins (tofu, fish). And about 95% is organic. I’d love to do a bit better, but I’m working on it.

• Too much I feel sometimes. I’m new to this and keep finding I forget an ingredient and have to go BACK to the store after spending $100+.

I have a hubby and two kids and am finding this is VERY pricey, yet so worthwhile…. Any suggestions on cutting costs?

• About $100-120 week

I shop at Farmers Markets :) Whole Foods :( independent health food stores :)

• I feel rather frugal! lol £10 a week £15 max. I dont have much of an appetite and my local organic grocer is good and super convenient, a 5 minute walk!

Just for one tho

• I spend about 50 euros per week and that’s about $70.00 dollars.. This does not include periodic purchase of nuts and condiments probably close to $100.00 per week. This is for me and lately my b’friend has been eating what I have been eating. He has kids and they come over for the weekends, so I prepare regular food for them. I would say all told about $100.00 per week. I don’t eat out anymore since I am raw and no more pizza runs, or rotisserie runs so down the road we are saving. From a health stand point alone and prevention of chronic diseases we are saving :))

• rawdancer_london,

£15 is $30. That’s very low. What do you eat?

Come to think of it, it is possible, not that I am advocating it. You can get 2,000 calories from about 2.2 kilograms of bananas. I am sure you can buy them cheaper, but even at 70 cents per pound ($1.54 per kilo), that’s $24 per week. Hmm.

• That is really low! Of couse because I have blood sugar issues, cheaper fruits like bananas are not possible.

• My grocery bill doubled..it is now for a family of 5 around $150-$200 per week. My family is not raw..but, has started eating much more fruit, veggies, and smoothies..along side me…I was trying alot of new stuff though that we had never tried before. I am going to simplify for summer and get my grocery bill down to $125. Wish me luck.

• I forgot to say, we are a family of two and thats how much I spend for myself and some things for the both of us. Together, we probably spend about $200/week – sometimes less.

• I spent around $100 a week and do my grocery every other day to ensure the freshness of the food I consume.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

$150/week.

• Barose..if I was spending that much on myself I might splurge and try the Rawvolution..less time in kitchen and less $$$...

• I would say approximately £70 a week

• tlrosbach – do you mean the book or service? I do have the book.

Most of what I buy is various produce, nuts, nut butters (though once we get a good food processor, we wont have to buy that much) spices and other misc food. All organic. I don’t buy many pre-packaged foods unless I’m on the road; the only pre-package item I buy is kombucha because I haven’t learned to make it yet.

As far as the service, I don’t think it would be enough food and still for $100, it wont have any produce. Though I am new to raw “cooking” every recipe I’ve tried has come out great and I don’t spend that much time in the kitchen.

Right now I do have a lot of flax crackers, some “breads” etc that I made, so some weeks, I may spend much less on food in general.

The money we spend does not include eating out which we do less of now anyway. Until we get a juicer, I will still order fresh organic juice every other day or so from a newby juice bar or raw food place.

• Yeah it is possible, just means a lot of simple mono meals during the week, then I have “treats” at the weekend- more vegetables, perhaps some nuts.

If theres something exspensive like say oil or nuts, then I may get 1 exspensive item every other week. Otherwise the usual payday restock the spices and oils. Rest of the time I keep it pretty simple.

Bananas, grapefruit, lemons, spinich, tomato and peppers are all very cheap and easy to prepare!

• We spend about $30 per week on food which is basically produce. We spend $40 every 2 weeks on our nuts and seeds. I also prepare our goodies usually on Monday. So this saves us from purchasing raw treats. We have noticed since eating raw and wholesome foods we are saving over half of our original budget.

• Wow, please tell me how you manage to spend only $30 a week? I live in California and I pay more than $30 for 1 trip to the store (I shop about every other day).

• I was talking about the Rawvolution service..I figure I might give it a try if I have the $$ and just fill in with fruit and veggie smoothies. But, I am relatively new to raw so, I am probably not a good one for advice. :)