Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Pasteurized Almonds?

I’m new to the Raw way of life (and new to this site), but I’m loving it so far. At any rate, in my quest for raw almonds, I came across some info saying that raw almonds are now steamed in order to pasteurize them. Is this true and if so, does it make a difference? It seems that it would. Where does everyone get their almonds (cheap, fresh, unsteamed)? Thanks!

Comments

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

Hi Casserole (Lisa),

may this link be helpful to you:
    http://tinyurl.com/2mhbej

this company: Living Tree Community still sells raw almonds until the end of their stock. I think highly of their products. If you are or anybody else is interested in ordering from them, feel free to let them know that I refereed you. Jesse is the President & Cervrine is the sell manager.

Wishing you the very best.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

There’s a place in Naramata, BC which sells raw nuts. I don’t remember what they’re called but their prices are supposed to be good.

I’ve also been looking into dwarf fuit/nut trees? Anyone heard of them or have any thoughts?
    Here’s an article I found which got me interested:
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardenin…

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

the company livingnutz also still sells raw almonds

• Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. So, for a follow up question, can they still sell/label them as “raw” even if they have been pasteurized? Thanks again!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

yes, unfortunately they can, and they do.

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

Hi Casserole,
    re: can they still sell/label them as

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

The almonds that are pasteurized will be grown in Calfornia. This applies to all California-grown almonds sold in stores (it is illegal to sell in stores unless they are pasteurized). If you live in California, you may be able to buy at farmers market (unpasteurized) and directly at the farm. There are a few places online that are still selling unpasteurized California grown almonds (in case you didn’t know California is the only place in the US that grows almonds.)

What you can do is buy raw almonds grown overseas since the pasteurization law applies to California grown almonds.

• ValaVala Raw Newbie

I think this stupid law is only in California so you can order from other countries. Here in Iceland were I live there is no almonds from California,the brand that I always buy is from German company named Rapunzel and they get there almonds from Spain and they are very good.

• Thanks again for all the great answers. It looks like I will be ordering my almonds.

• Someone on this site, and I cannot remember who it was, posted this link. Sorry to not give credit if it was you!

http://www.almonds-from-california.com/ppcart/

From what the site says, farmers can sell directly to consumers without the new pasteurization rule applying. This is a farmer.

• PamPam

I may have posted that, jenoz. I buy my almonds from Almonds-from-California.com. The more you buy, the cheaper they are. I buy 10 pounds for $60.

• this is so depressing. TWO cases of salmonella several years ago, not even directly related to almonds, and now they’re all being pasteurized! the sad thing is that the government doesn’t think it tampers with the quality of them at all…what a bunch of bologna!

sigh soon we’ll all have to live on our own private farms to be able to eat the way we want!

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

Just got back from the farmer’s market here in santa monica on arizona and 3rd… just wanted to mention in case anyone else is in the area that there was a stand there with raw almonds! I spoke with the woman, who is also into raw food and she says for sure theirs are raw… I got a lb for about $9… I don’t know if they have a website or not, but this is their info as was on the bag:

Stackhouse Bros. Orchards
    13501 Cogswell Rd., Hickman, CA 95323
    1-800-382-7654