Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tahini

Can any one tell me how long a jar of tahini will last before spoiling? I have had an opened jar in my cupboard since about Christmas. It did not say anything about refridgerating it after opening, but also did not say how long a self life it had, especially since I’ve opened the jar. I do not use it much so could not say if smell or taste where off as I am not that familiar with tahini. Any help would be great.

Wen

Comments

• SystemSystem Raw Newbie

Hi countrygirl!

First thing, put your tahini in the fridge! This way, you extend its shelf considerably. I’ve just checked my reference guide, and tahini keeps from 8 to 12 months in the fridge.

I actually put everything in the fridge, raw crackers, raw cookies, sprouted cereal, raw honey, raw agave, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc. Food keeps for so much longer, and that way I don’t find myself wasting food.

• Thanks joseegonthier. Good advice, just keep it all in the fridge. Only problem I have is that with all those greens and fresh produce, I just don’t have room. I don’t get into town but once a week so my fridge gets pretty packed. Looking forward to my garden producing so I can free up space.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Be careful. Most Tahini is Not Raw even when it is labelled and sold as Raw. It must be very hard to turn a seed into a liquid without adding liquid or overheating it. You can reproduce the flavour of Tahini by grinding sesame seeds in an electric spice grinder. Check out the ‘Dead Food List’ on http://www.purelyraw.com for other items that are thought to be raw but are not. You are worth the trouble.

• I have had good luck with sprouted sesame seeds, lemon juice, and parsley in the Vitamix. Makes great tahini and tastes great with romaine lettuce leaves!

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I’m interested in making my own tahini (I got inspired from some of the comments on raw hummus). If anyone has a recipe, I’d love to see it posted!

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I make tahini all the time! You don’t really need a recipe just throw in what sounds good ;-) I always make my tahini completely plain and then mix together seasonings right before using. But the traditional recipes call for lemon juice and garlic, salt to taste and water to thin.

• Hey Coconut – ‘just throw in’ what into where to make your tahini? thanx