Ann Wigmore: Be Your Own Doctor

I’ve been reading this wonderful book “Be Your Own Doctor” by Ann Wigmore. I feel very enthusiastic about fully transitioning into a living foods diet and am especially excited about wheatgrass. I’ve learned how to grow the wheatgrass at home at very little cost, but I was wondering if anyone knew of an inexpensive way to manually process the wheatgrass in order to extract the juice using items that just might be lying around the house.

Also, if you haven’t heard of Ann Wigmore or wheatgrass, I strongly encourage you to look into it!

Thank you :)

Comments

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I am growing my second crop right now! I was just wondering about a good source for all the benefits of wheatgrass so good timing! In Recipes for a Longer Life,Wigamore states that you can chew the grass to extract the juice, but I don’t know…seems you would spend a lot of time with grass in your mouth! I have seen fairly inexpensive wheatgrass juicers (about $40?) and if you did alot of it , I think it would be well worth it. What was the most impressive benefit of wheatgrass in your opinion?

• I’m really interested in a wheatgrass juicer myself!! I wish I knew where to find a good one for cheaper. The ones I’ve seen are like 70$!! (gasp) :)

• An excerpt from “Be Your Own Doctor”

“Nature uses [wheatgrass] as a body cleanser, rebuilder and neutralizer of toxin. The effectiveness of chlorophyll, derived from fresh wheatgrass juice…is a complete food. Dr. Richard Willstater observed that the cholorphyll molecule bears close resemblance to hemoglobin, the red pigment in human blood, and differs only in the central element which in blood is iron and in chlorophyll magnesium. Owing to their close molecular resemblance, it was believed by Frans Miller, another scientist, that chlorophyll is the natural blood building element for all plant eaters and humans. Chlorophyll increases the function of the heart, affects the vascular system, the intestines, the uterus, and the lungs. It raises the basic nitrogen exchange and is therefore a tonic which, considering its stimulating properties, cannot be compared with any other.”

deborahann, in response to your question, it is the amazing detoxification property of wheatgrass and its ability to cleanse every organ in the body as well as the blood that seems to be the most impressive benefit of wheatgrass. It ends constipation and cleans the intestines and the colon, something that is very important, for it is said that the root of all disease is found in a sick colon. I am very excited to begin this!! I hope all is well with your wheatgrass :)

Sky Princess, yeah I know, some are so expensive! I’m going to try and invent my own version of a juicer with common items at home…hopefully it will work. If I come up with something good, I’ll definitely post it.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Thank You. I aim to get 0.5 to 1 oz. every other day or so. I am still trying to figure out how much grass to grow to keep me at 1 oz. per day. I’ll have to figure how much to grow at 1 time and how often to start new trays. I’m using soil now but I may have to check out the soil-less system from sproutpeople if this gets to be too much

• I would really recommend staying with the soil, it produces more nourishing wheatgrass :) What kind of soil are you using? I’ll be trekking out to the middle of the woods to get my soil and peat moss haha.