Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is coconut flour raw? Is raw wheatgerm raw?

MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

I have some of both and am uncertain of how much living energy is left in either. The wheatgerm is vacuum sealed with an oxygen absorber and the coconut flour has been in the fridge since I opened it (wondering if I could use it in a Christmas Cake)... I hope someone knows ..cheeers

Comments

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

Hi Mopoke,

This coconut flour is raw:
    http://www.livingtreecommunity.com/store2/produ…

May this be helpful : )

ps: I cannot suggest you raw wheatgerm though as we do not use any.

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

Thanks Delphine…. that is not the same brand as mine but I can’t see why anyone would want to process it at high temperatures. That being said I did buy a brand of ‘tasteless’ coconut oil and then realised that while it did say organic it didn’t say ‘raw’. I wrote to the company and got told it was made from copra not coconut oil. Here’s the response:

“I’ve just checked with the supplier of our Coconut Cooking Oil and they have confirmed that our Certified Organic Coconut Cooking Oil is processed by using ambient temperatures, which is at room temperature.

It is a four-phase process; using copra (smoke dried coconuts) they harvest huge amounts of coconut and then process it.

So that the coconut whilst being stored, waiting to be processed, do not gather a fungus, it is smoked creating a seal around the flesh and hence preventing it from having a tropical fungus growing on the surface of the coconut flesh. This process of being smoked has minimal heat dispersed on the coconut.
    Once they have harvested and smoked enough coconut/copra (now called copra, as it is smoked) the next step is to extract the oil. The copra is broken up and place in huge vats, immersed in water. At ambient temperatures, (remembering tropical temperatures are more than adequate to assist in this separation process) the oil separates and floats to the top of the vat. The oil is removed and then the copra is mechanically pressed to extra the remaining oil.
    The extracted oil is an orange like colour and I’m informed a smoke like flavour. Hence the oil needs to have the colour reduced by way of pumping it through diatomaceous clays, which filter out the strong orange colour.
    The last process is to pump the oil through carbon/charcoal filters, to extract the smoked coconut flavour out of the oil. Just out of interest and in great sustainable fashion, the charcoal is in fact the now cold, burnt coconut shell that was used to smoke the coconut.
    That’s the processes used in the processing/manufacturing of our Certified Organic Coconut Cooking Oil.”

YUK I just used my coconut flour as a binding agent in an anzac cookie I was trying to make and it tasted vile – or maybe it was the oats that I had soaked that gave it the weird taste. No wonder there aren’t any recipes here using this product!
    As far as the wheatgerm goes I guess I will trust my tastebuds too,,,

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Oh no! I have been too lazy to buy coconut flour, but it seemed to have good potential. Would you mind keeping us posted on your experiments with it (if you continue to have any, that is…)?

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

Hi Mopoke,

I have tried to use coconut flour in several raw deserts recipes & it is not what I prefer either.

Yes, trust your inner feeling & taste buds when you buy something & also keep on asking questions to the companies you buy from, as we have the right to know.

Wishing you the best : )

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

The coconute flour may not be raw if they use high temps to dry it. That is why dessicated coconut is not raw, I am guessing that coconut flour would be dried the same way, unless it is dried by a specifically raw food company…

I presume that possibly, if they are mass producing the ‘tasteless’ coconut oil by turning it to copra and then filtering it, that, after production they may be left with a pulp…. and this pulp may well be marketed as ‘coconut flour’ especially if the company is into recycling everything and using every bit…that would definitely mean some flours are rawer than others. Jenny I won’t ditch the packet yet and yes, if I chance on a successful recipe I will post it :)...