Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

chewing food vs. liquid diet?

Does anyone know whether drinking food is less beneficial than chewing because it doesn’t require the digestive enzymes in the saliva to work? I am curious if anyone has ever been on a liquid diet and why?

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

(We went to Boutenko’s talk a couple weeks ago… so, after that, I will say:)

How long is this liquid diet?

It depends on how well you digest your food. Blending food in a high-speed blender would allow your body to easily digest your food with the fiber. This is great for people that are not digesting well (who probably have low HCl). However, chewing promotes peristalsis and exercises the jaw. Victoria mentions in her book about jaw exercise.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I attended a seminar the other night put on by a chiropractor who is promoting raw food. He stated that chewing food is the proper way to begin digestion as:

1) the presence of saliva on food before it hits the stomach is essential to begin digestion;
    2) proper chewing also breaks down the cell walls of food for easier absorption of nutrients; and
    3) “tagging,” or identifying the food type (proteins, carbs, sgars) is something done via the teeth and signals the pancreas to identify which enzymes to make to properly digest the food.

He also said if you could chew a carrot and it didn’t taste sweet to you within 6 seconds then you haven’t been chewing your food enough because your teeth can’t properly tag the sugars, which can be corrected over time by adequately chewing the food before swallowing it. he also advised that sometimes artificial teeth, veneers, bridges, crowns, etc. can interfere with tagging. He says that so many people on a SAD diet have problems tagging their food and as a result have faulty enzyme production in the pancreas.

I found this interesting but couldn’t find any info to back up this third assertion. It anyone is provoked by this to try and find information on the topic I would be interested in the source being posted so I can read it as well.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

1) I believe only amylase is found in saliva. That is to digest the carbs/sweets/starch(?). But, this whole “tagging” thing, I’ve never heard of.
    2) True, but you’d have to chew very well!
    3) Interesting… but, I think this is only important if you are not on a raw diet. You need enzymes on a cooked diet. Raw food has the enzymes to digest itself.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

I believe that a liquid diet is very beneficial for healing purposes, but should not be followed day to day. A liquid fast can last as long as three months or more for healing, but chewing is part of the natural progression of our food intake. I don’t believe I can break it down scientifically, but to me it seems natural and beneficial to use our teeth to chew our food.

• pearjoypearjoy Raw Newbie

I agree, it is very important to use our teeth! I like to have something that really works my teeth in the morning; nothing like biting a ring around a Granny Smith apple!! I also like to cut a zucchini into rounds, it’s pure joy using my teeth for raw produce. For the rest of the day I have sweet green smoothies and I’m very happy and satisfied.