thinking about going raw

hello, I have a couple of questions, as I am contemplating going raw. I already gave up meat several months ago, and was actually really grossed out when I had steak for Christmas (I was trying to be a gracious guest…) So meat is not a problem now. However, raw is a whole different thing. I am also used to being vegan, I generally observe Orthodox Lent, which is vegan. One question is, how do I know this is really not just an attempt to control my world through food, when I feel I am losing control otherwise? I don’t know. Second, is alcohol considered raw? Wine? My family is happily eating “normal” stuff, but they would not sabotage me. I would still have to cook for them though.
thank you

Comments

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Hi Lilu,
    Congrats on pursuing Raw. My life has changed since doing so myself. I feel better than ever :) It’s no secret that most people could stand to add more fresh, whole fruits and veggies to our diets. With Raw as its own cuisine nowadays, it’s more delicious and FUN than ever.

Wine is considered Raw. I have a post about it on my blog here: http://kristensraw.blogspot.com/2007/08/wine-ra…

Cheers!
    Kristen Suzanne

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

how do I know this is really not just an attempt to control my world through food, when I feel I am losing control otherwise?<

what an interesting question. you have really made me stop and examine my own intentions.

the plus side to eating a raw, balanced diet is, if it is a control thing, at least it’s physically healthy.

i think it would be very easy to get obsessive about raw. i myself am trying to stop feeling guilty whenever i eat something outside my personal realm of “raw.” guilt should have no place in one’s diet, but that is easier said than done.

one thing that has kept me balanced is talking to someone (non-raw family is great for this) who will not hesitate to be honest with me and tell me if i’m being too obsessive or entering into an unhealthy mindset.

another thing has been keeping a personal journal exclusively for my raw journey. this way i sort out my inner self without fear of judgement.

only you know you. raw isn’t healthy if it’s being used in an unhealthy way, but only you can determine if you’re doing so.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Lilu,

I congratulate you on having the where with all to ask yourself if a raw diet may be an expression of obsessive/compulsive behavior. I have subjected myself to this type of behavior in the past. For me, one of the benefits of getting older is also getting wiser and hopefully interspective.

I think it really depends on how you approach it. I can tell you that I feel so much better eating primarily raw food. But my commitment to raw food doesn’t control me, I control it. If I am at my local health food store and see a bowl of banana pudding or I find myself really attracted to a piece of mediterranean pizza, I allow myself to have it. I eat at least one cooked item a week, which satisfied my cravings. I just spent the holidays with my family and ate SAD for 5 straight days. I felt like hell afterwards and my energy level plummeted, but I am not going to beat myself up over it. I wanted to share in the festivites with my family and it was worth it.

I don’t think you have to be 100% raw to feel you are doing it right. Also, there isn’t anything wrong with being 100% raw and that doesn’t mean you are motivated by obsessive/compulsive behavior. When I first investigated raw I read lots of material and the benefits of raw seem to kick in once you are at 60% of your diet. I know there are people on this site that would disagree with that.

When I first read about organic foods, I was more horrified by GMO than pesticides. I decided I would only eat 100% organic. This led to my diet being restricted and I became dissatisfied with what I had to choose from. I realized then, at least for me, that no deviations from organic was a control mechanism for me and I dealt with it. If I have the option of organic, I choose that. I will choose some locally grown produce that is not organic, unless it is one of the top 10 foods to avoid if not organic. I often buy the 10 foods least affected by pestiside residue if I have not read about them being GMO. I realize that I don’t have to be obsessive about my feelings toward food and I can only do what I can do. This is how I view my experiences and others may not feel that way about their similar experiences.

If you find yourself obsessing about your food choices, then you should just sit down, take 3 deep breaths, and ask yourself honestly why you think you are acting or feeling that way. Honey, we all have baggage and we express it in different ways. In the alternative, if you have to have something to obsess about, a healthy diet beats some of the other ways people deal with their emotonal quirks.

Just take it easy, become knowledgable about what you are doing so you can make informed decisions, and don’t let anybody give you grief if you don’t want your diet to be the way they think it should be. It is your life.