nightshades?

juicyjuicy Raw Newbie

I have heard such mixed opinions on these over the years…..any opinions would be helpful. Are they actually something to avoid? Is anyone experiencing raw success while still including these in their diet?

Comments

• what are nightshades?

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Nightshades are a species of plants that include potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, tomatillos, tamarios, pepinos, pimentos, and paprika and cayenne. Tobacco is a nightshade. They contain alkoloids that increase inflammation in the body. The alkaloids are higher in raw foods. Nightshades also contain solanine, which can cause stomach and neurological problems.

Because nightshades pose a problem for those with compromised health, they are completely omitted from a macrobiotic diet.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I have read that those who suffer from arthritis should eliminate them from their diet.

• I can’t remember why, but it seems like I have always known about nightshades and arthritis. I have limited them for years, but held onto my peppers til the end, still eating jalapenos once in awhile, I am a chile head. I really miss the flavors and endorphins, soooo much. More than any favorite cooked food. I love jalapenos, habaneros, chipotles, green chiles and tomatillos, cayenne, etc.
    Potatoes are said to be the worst, because of the green under the skin, and because they tend to be consumed more than the others. Deepfrying the potatoes is supposed to negate the solanine, not that that would make them better for you.