Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

simple recipe

Any ideas on any simple recipes..I don’t even know where to begin to buy raw nuts and seeds. Also where do you purchase olive oil…does if have to be organic. How do I know what I am buying is really raw? I only have a walmart and brookshires where I live. I don’t even know where to begin to look for spices or anything…any help?? I am really wanting to go raw but looking for a little help!!

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Oh, you wont’ find raw nuts/seeds in Wal-mart or at least not the one’s I’ve been too. I’ve never heard of Brookshires… but, is there a farm stand nearby? Or sign up for community supported agriculture (CSA) nearby.

How about bulk ordering your nuts/grains/seeds?

I bought my sprouts from sproutman.com… this was months ago, and they are still in my fridge waiting to be sprouted. Nuts and seeds last a long time… and since you only need a few (in comparison to fruits, veggies, and greens) they’ll last a while in your fridge. Of course, if you are experimenting with several recipes, you may not have the nuts in store… some good ones to have are almonds (I know, they’re pasteurized now), sunflower seeds (I always have this one), cashews (mostly used for my desserts) and walnuts.

• thanks for your advice…there is a small farm stand about 20 minutes from my house…I have been considering buying from it. If they sell nuts there do you think it would be ok to purchase them? Brookshires is pretty much like a Minyards not sure if you heard of that either. Can you recommend a good book to get me started from scratch! thanks again!!

I didn’t give you recipe ideas!

Some good ones are collard green wraps – filled with veggies and a probably a nut sauce inside or for dipping. Also, wilted kale is so easy.. but you may have a hard time finding agave. You’ll have to order that… but not in bulk, because it goes bad after a while of opening. Hemp seed? You can probably skip that as the ingredient… just the dressing is yummy enough!

Oh absolutely, you should be able to buy nuts from there… and probably best… maybe you can even ask for raw unpasteurized almonds since some farms can sell them locally. (They Almond Board of California mandated pasteurization of almonds.)

Good book is Living Cuisine by Renee Underkoffler. That gives a good description of foods, what to do with them, the raw kitchen and various choices or raw food appliances… just a good way to start. I’ve read several books; and that’s the one I would recommend. There are other good ones… just depends on what style of writing you like from the author.

• thanks alot germin8…what is in the nut sauce…sorry I sound so clueless

I liked the collard green wraps from the Raw Food Real World book… you can find a link to it from here: http://rawketscience.blogspot.com/2007/05/we-li…

I also liked the portabella mushroom marinated with nama shoyu and stuffed with guacamole and julienned carrots and such.

I don’t see a collard green wrap recipe here, but you can search for sauces and use those for dipping. I like thai nut sauces!

• for ideas on ingrediants I sometimes get stuff from amazon.com But i am having trouble finding resonable young cocanuts.

• thanks so much

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

germin8~ When you make the wilted kale (which looks marvelous!), do you wash off the salt before mixing the kale with the other ingredients? If not, do you use the whole 2 T of salt?

I don’t wash off the salt. But, I have used about half the salt than the recommended and less kale (about 1/2 to 3/4 the kale).