Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

sprouting almonds?

So today I bought some “raw” almonds from a bulk bin at my local grocery store. Im not convinced that these almonds are even truly organic never mind raw, but I thought I would try. Now in theory if these almonds are raw they will sprout right?
Now how do I sprout them.How long do I soak them and then what after that? When should I begin seeing a sprout? Thanks. Jaclyn.

Comments

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Almonds labeled “raw” are no longer raw. A pasteurization law passed a few months ago. All store bought almonds are pasteurized. The only place you can get really raw almonds now is from farmers. They are allowed to sell raw almonds to individuals in qualtities of 100 pounds or less.
    If you want to try to sprout them anyway, soak them overnight or about 8 hours. Then drain your almonds and turn your sprouting jar to a 45 degree angle and rinse the almonds twice daily. I’m not sure how many days raw almonds take to sprout, could be more than 2.

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Actually, it’s only California almonds that must be pasteurized or treated. Although you can still get almonds that say raw, but really aren’t, you can get raw almonds that really are. Some of the big companies ordered many months or even a years worth of almonds before the regulation went into effect. Other companies are importing almonds from Europe. I would advise that you check with your local co-op or health food store to see what they are carrying. They should be knowledgeable as to whether or not their product is really raw. Don’t be afraid to ask questions!

• oh. that sucks. I live in canada and have no way to get real raw almonds then:(
    So what is the suggestion for raw foodists? Eat the pasteurized almonds or give them up all together?

• Haha! RBCalive – we were posting at the same time. Thanks everyone for the info.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

My friend makes almond milk from almonds that are truly sprouted, not just soaked. She says it takes about 5 days for a little nub of a sprout to appear on the almonds. So the live raw almonds do sprout but it takes a long time. I’m not sure there’s any value in sprouting them.

BTW RawJim, your links don’t work any more.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

livingnutz.com

• Hi,
    Wow, seems that my almonds are super alive :D They ALWAYS sprout when I just soak them in water over night! They are sprouted the next day!
    I got them from “keimling” (I’m from Europe).
    I really love sprouted almonds – even if I didn’t intend to sprout them the first time g

• How do you Milk an Almond?

• Hm, my almonds seems to be started on the sprouting after soaking them overnight as well. When I peel them in the morning, they’ve got a cute, little tail. I used to buy non-organic almonds, and never saw it, but after I started buying organic almonds, the tail is always there. Do they count as being “sprouted” when I can see that little tail after peeling, or should it be seen before they are peeled?
    I also live in europe. Don’t know where the almonds are from exactly, but they do seem to be very raw . :-)