Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fear of Flying

I am taking a flight soon with my two children and I am terrified of flying. My first flight over 10 years ago was not good for my heart. :-)
I am hoping some of the members here would have some good information on what to eat/what to avoid or maybe some natural relaxers that would help ease my fear, but not knock me out so I can still be a Mom.
Any pointers would be appreciated!

Comments

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

ginger is a natural remedy for motion sickness

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Source Naturals has a supplement called “theanine serene” that is absolutely wonderful for anxiety. Most health food stores should have it in the “mood” section of the vitamins/supplements. For me it is almost as effective as prescription anti-anxiety meds, but without the spacey-ness. I’m totally functional on it, just very, very calm. I have had severe problems with anxiety in the past, and this supplement has been a lifesaver for me. Even though my anxiety is much better on raw, I still like to keep this around. It does make me a little sleepy if I take two, so if you have time, you might try taking one before your flight to see how it works for you before you’re on the flight.

I’d definitely try to avoid anything stimulating like caffeine or anything overly sugary the day before or the day of the flight. Those things really ratchet my anxiety up a lot. I’ve found green juice to be helpful and calming when I’m having issues with anxiety, so maybe you could have some as you’re heading out to the airport?

Good luck!

• Thank you both very much for your replies.

Jenny – you hit it right on the head to try it before I fly out. That was my hopes in starting this topic over a week to go. I would like to try some ideas to find out what works best with my body.

Newbie – Ginger – love that root! Put a nice smile on my face to hear you list that for motion sickness. I will have to try that the next time my husband drives the car.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

This is not a food but I find it extraordinarily helpful for my clients (I’m a coach)
    http://www.sedona.com. They have a free DVD/CD they will send you that shows some of the basics.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Great topic, I have the same problem! I actually used to love flying but it’s been years and every time I think of flying I just feel panicked. It’s the whole deal of being in closed quarters with lots of people, no control, motion sickness, the whole 9… I look forward to see what other recommendations come along! :-)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

cucumbers are my miracle food for flying. especially since we can’t take water on anymore. i take them on whole and eat them throughout the flight. very alkaline, very soothing on the stomach, and very hydrating. watermelon (when it’s in season though) is also great, but a little more messy.

if you do ginger you can bring a small piece and ask the stewardess to give you some hot water (not raw, but it works) to pour over it. instant infusion.

doing some deep breathing before and during the flight is also effective.

• coconutty- you nailed it on the head for me…no control. I have a hard time not controlling situations. I instantly go into panic and anxiety – I have learned to do this quietly w/o going to a hosptial for the past 7 years. I like to know what is happening, when, and what the plan of action will be. :-)

pianissima- cucumbers – great idea. Do you know if you can just put a full cucumber in a plastic bag w/in a carry on bag? Maybe I should contact the airline?

greenie- thank you I will check the site out. Looks very interesting for just life practices too!

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

I used to be terrified to fly. Couldn’t even look at a plane in the sky without feeling breathless and panicked.While a real fear of loss of control was part of the problem the larger issue turned out to be my reluctance to take responsibility for the things I could control in a meaningful way. That said, working it all out took some time. In the short term I found hypnosis incredibly helpful. I went for one session and left with a tape which I listened to days before my flight, on the plane, and repeated for the return. I don’t need it so much these days but still keep the tape around. In fact several years ago my then 8 year old son used it to help himself through some flying anxiety.

You’ll be okay. Remember to breathe.

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

namadetaberu, just a side note – I’m sure you’re well aware that the whole travel process has changed quite a bit over the last 10 years (security checkpoints take much longer to get through, etc). But I wanted to mention that it’s a good idea to bring food (snacks) with you b/c the only thing you might find in the airport to eat (if you’re lucky) is an apple, orange, or banana. Sometimes they’ll have something like that at one of the cafes or something, but other than that, you’ll just have water available. Foods that I have found that travel well are fruits, thai slaw, Chris’ marinated mushrooms, and any sauce (used sparingly) on sea noodles. They don’t require refrigeration and you won’t have to throw them away when you pass through the security checkpoint. Most airports require you to throw away any liquids.

• PamPam

There are no longer restrictions on taking water on planes. You must buy it on the other side of security, however. Yes, you can carry a cucumber, whole or otherwise, on board.