Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

deveining kale? Help!

I am new to the whole raw food thing and I keep seeing in recipes to use deveined kale. How do you do this? Thanks for the help and sorry if this is a stupid question!

Comments

• Not stupid! No worries.
    I generally leave the vein but here is how you do it:
    Turn the leaf over. Where the vein starts getting thick (this is in tv middle of the back of the leaf)slide your knife so it scoots under the vein and run it along down until there is no more left. I call this section the Rib not the vein. Hope this helps. FYI I leave most of the stem in when making green smoothies. Sometimes I save the less tough parts for smoohies as well.
    Have fun!!!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

cherrys~ No problem on the question… ask away…

When a recipe calls to devein kate, that means to remove the nice, tender leafy part from the really tough, light colored vein (also called a stem) going up the middle. Simply fold the leaf in half with the vein being the crease part and pull the leafy part from the vein.

There is nice little article about kale on the Natural Living site that is run by one of the GoneRaw members.

Just noticed Hippie Chick answered this also. Now you have two versions. :)

• But BLUE did a better job!!!

• Thank you both so much. I can’t wait to make this smoothie I found on here last night now! I think I might even try it with the stem like you said.

• HOW NOT TO DO IT!
    DO NOT HOLD UP FROM CUTTING BOARD, AND STARTING AT THE THICK END (BASE), DO NOT CUT WITH LARGE SANTOKU KNIFE DOWNWARD TO LEAFIER PART, SLICING INSIDE THE RIGHT INDEX FINGER, NEXT TO NAIL. JUST TRIED THIS TONIGHT, TYPING W/O RIGHT INDEX FINGER.

• I was, just didn’t switch knives after cutting up a Big butternut squash, with my new knife ( it cut through like butter instead of butternut, so in love with the Anolon knives), and I didn’t feel like cleaning the cutting board yet. Wrong knife, wrong job. I only recently started removing the rib from my dinokale, my salad is much easier to eat now.

• Do you have to devein kale to juice it?

• I wouldn’t bother if I had a high speed blender. I have a 50 dollar blender that I would like to last a little longer so I recently started deveining it. It does blend it smoother without the vein. I just grab onto the thick stem with one hand and run my other hand up the leave tearing off the good part.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I juice the stem and all and since I have a vita-mix I use most of the stem for smoothies too

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

rawrawraw, i hope that you were typing without using your right index finger as opposed to not having a right index finger to type with! hope your finger is better and that it is actually there!

• Yes, finger in tact. I cut the index finger of the hand holding the knife.Don’t know how I did it.

• On eating/juicing the rib, I still do both. I do process the whole leaf very finely with garlic and add avocado, making an almost pesto, and I feed the base of the stem into the juicer first.