Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Juicing The Fruit with the peel

I am inquiring about oranges and bananas and juicing them with the peel on (washed peel is probably a good idea)

I want to use words like should,can,have,would you do such a thing?

Comments

• Ummm…I have tried to juice a banana the very first time I used a juicer. Let me tell you…You just cant. There is no juice in a banana. Only mush that flies out the back into the pulp container:) Oranges on the other hand,. I have read that both orange and grapefruit peel should not be consumed ( a little zest is OK ) . Apparently they are not good for our body. Plus it is incredibly bitter. Natures way of saying dont eat me I guess.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

You would have to use a blender for the banana, and I would only do that if it was an organic banana, otherwise you are getting toxins.

Ditto on what jgagnon said. You should avoid the colored part of the peel on grapefruits and oranges (the Juiceman definitely states that). It is safe for you to eat the peel on lemons and limes. You should juice the white pithy part beneath the colored peel on citrus fruits, that is where a ton of the nutrients are.

• don’t juice an orange or blend an orange whole! the inner peel under the zest is toxic! lemons are fine to juice whole, but not oranges. i don’t know about other citrus fruit.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

The peel of lemons, oranges, grapefruits, etc are very good for you but makes the juice taste very bitter. Also, DO NOT juice the peels of non organic fruits as it would be toxic due to the petecides. bananas, do not juice. The white part of the orage is high in biflavoids.

• putting frozen nanners through a juicer with a blank screen makes for DELICIOUS smooth and creamy ice cream!!!

use coconut flakes and cacao nibs for sprinkles.

make a chocolate sauce using cacao powder and coconut oil.

rgkAJEdgdrool

• without the peel

sorry totally non related.

• Rawveganlove says the inner peel is toxic…..then Rawmama says to avoid the COLORED part (the zest), but to eat the pith part beneath the colored peel as the nutrients are there.
    Now I am really confused as to which part (IF ANY) of the peel is safe to use. Anyone know FOR SURE on this?
    Marcy