Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Too many smoothies?

Heres the deal. The only satisfying raw meal I can come up with is a smoothie. I know it sounds strange. There are many other meals that I have tried…but nothing curbs cravings quite like my smoothie! I only have 1 a day though then suffer with snacking on fruit until dinner – which is not raw at all. Usualy its meat and potatoe type dinners that I skip the meat but eat the cooked veggies and buns. And I have a salad. Now my question is can I have too many smoothies? My staple smoothie is 1 banana, handfull of frozen mangoe, tbsp Maca, tsp green powder, tbsp coconut oil and a half cup or more almond milk. Oh and a tbsp hemp powder. Now is that incredibly fattening or what? I cant seem to lose any weight even though I have added an excersise routine. I had a baby 8 months ago and the weight has been slow to come off but now it has stopped since I started with the smoothies again. Is there too much going on in this smoothie? What could I try instead? Thanks Jaclyn.

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

I would go with more fruit and less fat in your smoothies. Keep the hemp seeds but omit the coconut oil and the almond milk. Add more bananas and use herbal teas or coconut water for the base. Keep the maca, green powder, and the hemp protein powder. Also try to add some greens like a handful or two of spinach, and some raw cacao powder. This smoothie should help to satisfy you and help with your cravings for “meat and potatoes food” Hope this helps out!

V

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

I have 2 favorite smoothies: a bunch of celery, a lot of blueberries and 2 frozen bananas(from Victoria Boutemko’s Green for life.
    And a lot of grapes,many veggies of your choice,mint and maple syrup(from goneraw,don’t remember who did that recipe).

• I always add plenty of fresh greens, and if you use stevia you can avoid using too much fruit. You can gradually increase the greens as you get used to more. I also use water to save calories.

My favorite: 5 cups greens, 1/2 a lime or lemon (peeled or juiced) and stevia.

• can stevia be purchased raw from anywhere?

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

stevia is very easy to grow yourself! i’ve never seen the leaves for sale anywhere yet, but maybe sometime soon…

• Humananimal, coconut oil helps you lose weight. I would keep that one in, I think. It’s a fat your body really needs. But perhaps I’m a little biased :0) I love coconut oil. :0)

• Your smoothie sounds quite heavy. I used to make the same mistake of using a nut milk to make my smoothies. Then as I studied the raw diet- I began to realize the body does not NEED the milk and started to use water. Its much lighter and easier to digest. Omit the coconut oil! Depending on what your diet is already like. If you eat a completely non fat diet, then I would keep the coconut oil. My usual favorite smoothie would be- water. handful of spinach. various fruits like a banana, blueberries, a peach. and agave. I have yet to try maca though.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

you migth also try a “sauce,” which would be less watery than a smoothie. i blend 1/2 apple, 1/2 pear, a few handfuls of spinach and voila! it tastes velvety (like apple sauce, but MUCh better).

also, there is nothing wrong with having steamed veggies, cooked whole grains, with nama shoyu, or a nice homemade tomato sauce as a TRANSITION. i personally think this is a better way to go than trying to make the raw versions of unhealthy foods to start. get off the unnecessary stuff in the cooked diet first i would say and you will start to like the taste of veggies… slowly integrate the salads etc… just from personal experience though. EVERYONE is DIFFERENT. =)

• Thanks everyone. I will try some suggestions this morning. I just made some spinach and kale and apple and pineapple fruit juice so I will make myself a less fatty smoothie right now! Thanks again. Jaclyn.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I’m actually in favor of using coconut oil because of it’s antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiviral properties. It contains lauric acid and caprylic acid that do this. Coconut oil is also helpful with immune diseases and thyroid hormone regulation. It’s a medium chain fatty acid, different than the long chains in nuts. Almond milk can also be healthy, but it isn’t necessary to drink it in every smoothie. Vary your smoothies more, don’t drink the same one everyday. Add some greens and other fruits that are fresh, not frozen. I use water as my base the majority of the time, but sometimes I use kombucha tea, freshly squeezed juice or almond mylk.

• I agree with Lucy, Victoria Boutenko is the honourary Queen of the smoothies. Read her book if you can. I’ve been going by her recipes and I love them for their simplicity and how light they make me feel.