Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Juice Feasting

I really want to do a 7-day juice feast, but I still live at home and my Mother won’t let me. I was diagnosed with an eating disorder a few months ago, and my mom is worried because I always go to extremes. (I’m 5’7” and around 108-109 lbs., but I want to get back down to 105.)
I explained that people do this for several months, and it’s just drinking liquids to give your digestive system a break. I also explained that it is called Juice “Feasting”—not fasting—because you still get all the nutrients you need.
Do any of you have any advice to help me sway her? She’s SAD, so she doesn’t understand (but she tries).

Thanks…

Comments

• Wow, that’s a toughie. I wouldn’t mess with fasting or juice feasting if I had an eating disorder and such a spare frame. That is definitely a contraindication for juice feasting. Who knows how you will react afterwards Why do you want to get to such a low weight? I have tiny bones and am quite slim at 108 and 5’3”—I could see losing a few more pounds and being fine, but I can’t imagine with four more inches!

I understand that you want to be as healthy and clean as you can be, but maybe it would be best to focus on eating healthy foods that will nourish you. One thing about juice feasting is that it is low protein, meaning you would lose some muscle mass. If you needed to lose weight overall, that could be fine, but that doesn’t sound very safe to me for a much slimmer person (most of the people who have done it for a long time were overweight or of average weight before, not slim). Maybe you could do a mono-fruit fast, or a green smoothie fast. If you entered all the nutrition information, your mom could see how nutritious it is!

Good luck, I know EDs are not something that can just go away magically, so I’m glad you’re trying to take care of yourself. Some things sound a little risky to me, though.

• Thanks, cannibal.
    A green smoothie fast sounds good….maybe I could even convince my mom to do it with me….

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Call it what you want to call it…it IS a juice FAST. You still get the nutritrients you need but you will loose weight. A 7 day juice fast, would not make you loose that much weight however, ALWAYS, listen to your parents. EVEN, if they are wrong. In this case, I think that it is not wise for you to loose weight right now. So many young girls think that they are fat and they are not and that has always really bothered me. If anything, you might need to gain weight.

Loosing weight however, is also done with a proper diet of raw foods. If you eat junk and then go on a fast, then go back to junk, your Metabolism will slow down and you will gain MORE weight after you get off the fast.

• willmizewillmize Raw Newbie

If you’ve been diagnosed with an eating disorder, you really should talk to your doctor or therapist or counselor about this before doing anything.

• Your weight may be little low to do juice feast, 109 is still tiny – one way of compromising would be to have a fresh juice in the morning and don’t eat solids until 1? this is meant to be very very cleansing.

Be careful :)

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

Having experience in self destructive behaviour, I would advise you to avoid doing a juice feast/fast if you have any history of eating disorders. It is VERY easy to fall back into restriction and “bullying yourself” into not eating. Judging by the height and weight you mentioned, you sound like quite a thin girl, and losing weight is probably unnecessary and/or dangerous.
    If you are interested in doing some kind of a cleanse, I would try going on green smoothies for a while, and see how you feel.

Also, I’d just like to mention from personal experience that although the raw diet is great and very healing in many ways, self destructive behaviour is a far deeper problem and requires attention. Do not suppress any desires to talk to someone about problems you’re going through, should the eating disorder rear its ugly head.

Anyway, best of luck to you, and good on you!

• I’m glad you like the idea of a smoothie fast. Let us know what you decide to do! We all want to support you and I bet there are lurkers in a similar situation.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

itGirl,

I agree with willmize and elizabethh about getting help regarding the eating disorder.

I also agree with your Mom (sorry), it sounds like you are really really thin as it is, and you look very thin in your picture, too. Fasting or juice feasting will make you lose weight and that sounds like an unhealthy plan for you right now.

Fruits, vegetables, and green smoothies are cleansing and nourishing. But please understand that the most powerful cleansing element is your healthy body. If your body isn’t provided with adequate nutrients, your body cannot do its work of cleansing and impurities will accumulate.

Even Dr. Schulze’ Incurables Program, which is used to detox (and nourish) people with incurable diseases, the people who need more than anyone to detox – even that stresses nutrition. In that you must consume at least 2 quarts of fresh juice per day, the juice has to be made from fresh vegetables, and you need to consume another 2 quarts of his potassium broth per day. Plus 2 smoothies with juice plus his Superfood powder. Plus herbs and some other things. In other words, you are flooding your body with a huge amount and variety of nutrition. I know someone who did that program for 3 months and gained 24 pounds.

You need to be careful with this.

What comes to mind is a friend who, years ago, got into fasting and cleansing, eating ‘pure’ foods and sticking to raw diet. Contrary to all the reports of better health, he felt worse and worse, had bad brain fog and fatigue. He attributed all of that to detoxing. At his parents’ insistence, he went to a naturopath who also was an MD, who tested him and found huge deficiencies. The Dr. had him eating more liberally. I don’t know what diet was recommended but it took a few months for him to get his vitality back.