Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Blood Tests

http://www.growstronger.com/blog/

I am starting a 30 day raw foods trial. I want to conduct this in the most objective manner that is possible for me, so I have decided to start and finish with blood work. Can anyone give any recommendations as to the types of tests I should get?

Thanks!

-Chris

Comments

• FreesiaFreesia Raw Newbie

Full blood picture, haemoglobin, liver function, thyroid function, fasting lipids , cholesterol, B12…. may have different terms in other countries, that’s what we call these tests in Australia.
    From these tests you can ascertain your pre and post raw cholesterol reading, whether you are anaemic, whether you have any infections (white cells ), whether your liver is deficient in function,
    From your website comment, the raw diet is not an extreme diet, it’s our natural diet.
    What IS extreme is all the processed junk that people eat these days.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

You should really do any diet for a lot longer than 30 days. There is no way to get an objective view or truthful results in 30 days. Sorry, hard science background. But good luck!:-)

I totally agree with you Alix1962, 3 months would be the earliest, I feel.

• So what about that whole raw for 30 days movie then?

Yor’re right, Ziggy, some amazing changes on 30 days raw, it certainly would be a fantastic beginning.
    I feel that if you did the blood tests after 90 days, you’d get an even better result. Do you have any existing aliments? These take time to correct themselves,... not that 30 days isn’t good, but a longer time would really help to resolve any underlying health problems and allow for a bit of detox time as well.

For the folks in “Raw for 30 days”, I hope they continue with the raw lifestyle, because it’s the continuing of this way of eating that brings remarkable results.
    Good luck with your trial!

• Hi ziggy,
    In addition to the already mentioned:
    If you want to have your iron levels tested, also do ferritin (iron “storage”...), and the Vit B12 together with homocystein (not sure if it really matter for such a short period of time, though)!
    Good luck and keep us up-to-date. A really well documented before-after – interesting! :)

• I think you will only see a difference in 30 days if you were in horrible health before, on a horrible SAD diet—but it sounds like you were eating alright before! The closer to get to excellent health, the more gradual changes are.

• Hi Ziggy,

If you ask for a CBC with diff/platelet, a BMP, a Hepatic function panel, a Throid panel with TSH, a NMR lipo profile and a B-12 level you will probably find out everything you need to know. Good Luck and let us known the results of your experiment!

• OH I forgot to mention, you will probably see the most difference from a live blood analysis.

• Thanks for all the replies!!!

If the results show improvement, who am I to say I won’t continue? And I could also even make part of it cooked, and then get another test after 30 days, etc.

http://www.directlabs.com/cwp.php
    http://directlabs.com/testtypes.php#VB12

What does everyone think about those tests?

• Why exactly am I getting B12 tested? I know that I will probably have zero sources of it, so what is the point of testing it, when I know it will be low?