Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How long until raw becomes normal?

I know any change takes time and at first it seems so hard, but it just gets easier until it is the norm. I went through that when I quite smoking. How long did it take you to become raw and not wanting to be anything else? Another words effortlessly raw…

Comments

• About a month. You will still occassionally think something smells good, but cooked food starts seeming unapealing~ even abstract. At about a month these feeling start developing and the longer you are raw the more intense the feelings get.

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

Yeah I’d say a month and a half for me. I used to have cravings for cooked food but didn’t give in. They have no appeal now.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

About a month to a month and a half. It helped me a lot when I went from 80 percent raw to 100 percent. (except for my tea)

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

The memories associated with some foods might be harder to shake than the foods themselves. My mom makes a cake every Christmas that has been a tradition in our family for over 50 years. My greatgrandmother first made it and it bears her name. I don’t eat it anymore, but I do miss the sentiment. If it weren’t for the sugar and flour (which are detrimental to my immune system), I would eat it in a heartbeat. I think that you have to make allowances sometimes. That would make it easier to choose a raw diet the majority of the time. Eventually you might only want raw food.

• REALLY? Are you guys really being honest? A month, a month and a half? Really? I’ve been raw 9 months and last nights meat lasagna smelled amazing. The fresh smell of bread nearly killed me, okay, slight overreaction there. But seriously, even though I’m 100% and have been the entire 9 months and I’ll never go back to SAD… you can’t tell me the smell of something you once loved doesn’t sill entice you even just a little.

Editsorry for my snippiness, aleta.

I didn’t say that cooked foods did not smell good to me. I said that it took me a month to a month and a half until the raw foods diet was second nature.

• I don’t think I really read the question. Sorry! How long before it feels normal. Okay, thats different. Yea, a couple months is probably right! Eating 100% raw is completely and totally normal to me now. And if I’d eaten that lasagna last night would have gone against every cell in my body. I actually didn’t want it, it just smelled good. You’ve got to understand that I’m the only person I actually know who is raw and everyone in my little community of 3,000 thinks I’ve become a nutcase. So, I’m constantly being harassed by not only friends but family to try this try that…. sometimes I get wrapped up in it.

So, again, I apologize, I just misunderstood the original question.

aleta, I came back because I just finished screaming at my writing partner for no reason, and realized I was very very snippy at you, too. I’m sorry, hun:*( I’ll edit my post.

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

i’ve been trying to do this for eight months and it’s still not natural to me. so instead of fighting against the need for cooked food, i’m working with it.

• It was more “normal” for me after a couple of months, but at that same time my bf was having issue about how much time I had been spending in the kitchen, we joined a new gym (and I found that I had time after work to either go to the gym OR prepare a raw meal – no time for both), and then came the holidays and my dehydrator broke! So I am now slowly trying to transition back on to the raw food track. I hoep it gets normal for me again!!

• It took me about 1-2 months, too. Cooked food/baked bread smells wonderful but doesn’t necessarily make me crave for it. I think perhaps the smell is a trigger to childhood memories of mommy cooking in the kitchen hence the “warm feeling”.

• I agree, I think many of the problems come from the emotions tied to the food. Holidays, family etc. I have attempted to make new memories with raw recipes to help with that. Have to admit however, because there is no cooking, many of the olfactory cravings are not met, at least for me. I agree with the bread analogy, I wouldn’t eat it, but I really love the smell.

• SueSue Raw Newbie

I’ve been raw for 1 year now. I still have urges for some old time “comfort” food. It has nothing to do with physical cravings, it’s just feelings that are deep within me that pop up once in a while. I think it’s different with every person. You have to go “raw” at your own pace. As long as you know what you must do to be healthy and you don’t beat yourself up too hard for falling off the wagon once in a while, you’ll be ok. I find the longer I stay on the raw path, the quicker I bounce back if I faulter.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

It was at least three solid months of raw until my consciousness fully recognized raw as the “real” food and cooked food as something much less appealing.

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

I still love the smell of bread and coffee and sometimes I will choose recipes for other family members for the fact I get to fry onions and garlic. But the desire to eat something that smells good is mostly gone….. I don’t want to eat my gardenia flowers even though I love their heady fragrance.
    But 123 the love in and history and power in the Christmas cake must be so nutritional! If you really can’t eat a morsel because of the immune issues (as a momentary sacrament to something beyond diet), how about asking the chef to hold a teaspoon or so of each ingredient that you can eat whilst making the cake and lumping or grinding or compressing it into something just for you?
    And make sure you do some stirring of the cake to put your energy back into the ‘pot’. ;)

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Another thing that held me back (besides the gluten and sugar) was a roomful of people watching me eat raw while they ate ham and canned sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. I had a point to make and I made it. It’s difficult to encourage others if you are unwilling to follow your own convictions.

The memories won’t change, but my diet did.

• It took a couple of days to know i wanted this and a couple of weeks to form something of a pattern.
    But in saying that, i think everyone goes through phases where they crave cooked more than usual. I’m in it for the times where i’m so sure of this it’s amazing. The other times are tough, but they pass.
    I think maybe my turning point was doing a juice feast. If you can get through one of them, everything else is simple. It certainly gives you alot of stuff to think about.

• Effortlessly raw. What a beautiful pair of words. I don’t think I’m quite anywhere close to that. But I do find myself rejecting cook foods more and more. I tried to go raw a few months back but failed miserably. Only because I had recently discovered it. And now my goal is to set a healthy schedule of cooked foods. Then slowly replace those cooked meals with Raw ones. I went to a Mexican cafe for dinner. ordered a burrito, and a salad with guacamole. I gobbled up my salad and asked for a second helping of salad. When I was done- I was feeling great. My burrito was still almost intact. I had wondered- if it were the other way around- I would have definitely left the cafe feeling bloated and tired.

• SUE - cravings do not have to be physical, they can be emotional as well. Cravings however, was probably not the best choice of words.