Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

raw marinara sauce

i’ve looked this up on this website, read and tried a bunch of different recipes… but so far nothing has been quite the same.

does anyone have the perfect recipe for tomato sauce? i was thinking maybe i should first dehydrate a bunch of the ingredients (tomatoes, onions, celery) to get them kind of tender and then blend… any experiences with alternate methods to the fresh tomato + sundried tomato version?

Comments

• Pianissima, I just made some last night. The recipe is on this site and it is called “Spaghetti Marinara with Mushrooms. It is quite delicious and easy to make. I usually don’t do the first part with the mushrooms, but I did a variation of the “Spicy fried Mushroom recipe”(also on this site) and the mushroom recipe in with the sauce. The way its written you might think the mushrooms go into the sauce but they don’t. You prepare them separately. I’ve also tried many recipes but found the flavor in this one to be most like the cooked version. It has a good consistency for the noodles, not too wet. Hope that helps. Happy raw eating!

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Jennifer Cornbleet has an incredible recipe for marinara in her book, “Raw Food Made Easy for One or Two People”

• poemommpoemomm Raw Newbie

Try this (and remind me to post it one day):

1 cup sundried tomatoes, soaked, water saved 1 teaspoon oregano 1 clove equivalent dehydrated garlic powder
  • pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

thank you!

yammygirl- will check that out

rawvoice- is that recipe posted on the web? i don’t have that book.

poemomm- that looks simple enough. and i think you are right. i may have been adding too many of the traditional ingredients.

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

piannissima, I was frustrated with raw marinara before I realized that I prefer it with no dehydrated tomatoes at all. I modified my basic recipe from Mario Batali, of all people (and the original is actually raw, too). It is ridiculously simple:

2 cups yellow or red grape or cherry tomatoes
    1 big handful basil
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1 splash olive oil or oil of your choice

Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust spicing (I don’t measure, so the above proportions are approximate). Sometimes I will add one date or some red pepper for sweetness or a tiny bit of ACV for acidity. Other times I leave it as is. It’s also great if you add an avocado and a splash of carrot juice—it makes a nice creamy soup.

I love this sauce. It’s not a rich and hearty marinara—it’s very light and fresh. The tiny tomatoes are ideal because they are sweet and delicious year round. After too many disappointing off-season experiences with the bigger varieties, I’ve stopped buying them anywhere but the farmer’s markets in summer.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

piannissima,

yes, someone posted jennifer cornbleet’s recipe here: http://goneraw.com/recipes/1476-The-Best-Pasta-...

• Here’s a tomato sauce I just made a few days ago:

http://rawroyalty.blogspot.com/2008/01/raw-spag…