Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

worse before it gets better?

juicyjuicy Raw Newbie

I have never really had skin problems before in my life, however after almost 1 month of raw I have worse skin than ever! Eczema as well as minor acne… is this a normal sign of detoxing or something that I am missing in my diet? Thanks!

Comments

• I’m having the same problem (itchy rashes that could be eczema), and some minor breakouts on my face that just won’t go away (been raw for 1.5 to 2 months now). I seem to be having more ‘detox’ symptoms lately, with minor headaches and what not, so I’m wondering if the rashes are just another part of that process.

On the other hand, I have been eating a lot of fruit, and for some here on the board, my rashes could be a clear indication of a candida infection.

Any thoughts?

-Dave:)

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

it is probably detox. I remember the first juice fast I did (I wasn’t all raw but I had just turned vegetarian) – boy did my skin breakout! It was horrible! I always had problems with my skin but this was even worse. I figured since I had never really “cleaned” by body out that all the years of meat eating and SAD junk food and traditional medicines was really working its way out.

Acne is one of the bodies way of pushing toxins out of the body. Rashes too can be one way – it is different for every one. But acne is definatley one of the things you can get.

Itchy rashes aren’t always an indictation of candida. It depends more on what the rash looks like.

Also, the detox can come and go – you can still get them six months down the road. It depends on how much cleaning your body has to do. It can be a slow process.

• One thing to keep in mind is depending on what you’re eating your diet may be lacking in omega fatty acids (or have a poor ratio of omega 3: omega 6). This deficiency is common in vegan diets and can lead to dry skin and eczema. Try adding a few tbs of flax seed oil to your smoothies or salads. You should see a difference in 1-2 weeks.

In terms of the candidiasis; rarely will someone get such an infection by increasing their fruit intake UNLESS they have some other medical condition that could be exacerbated. If you are glucose intolerant (diabetic) or immunosuppressed (HIV, cancer, etc), than you have a greater chance of having candidiasis. This rash usually occurs in warm, moist places where yeast can grow (such as under the arm pits, or in the diaper area on infants). The rash is typically itchy and painful. It usually presents as red scaly patches. If these are the symptoms you have OR if the rash is persisting for greater than 7 days I would have it evaluated by your health care provider.

• I have an allergy/ intolerance to many fruits – salicylates – it is a common enough allergy (salicylates are naturally occuring aspirin compounds) – I’ve had extreme hives, exzema, puffy feet and hands, sore eyes etc…

The only cure is avoidance – no stone fruit, no nightshades (tomato, eggplant etc) – but I feel so great now and live on lots of greens,
    sprouts, supergreen powders, soaked nuts, seeds and some fruit.

Google salicylates and see if it makes any sense….................

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

I have a raw friend who had this too. Turned out she was overdoing the citrus and as soon as she cut back it cleared up.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

juicy- i don’t mean to keep harping on the same thing, but ever since i found out about them, i really recommend getting a COLONIC. really, it sounds like you are detoxing too quickly and unless you want to slow it does a bit by re-incorporating some wholesome steamed veggies at night, or some cooked grains, then a colonic really is the best solution. when you detox too quickly you just have all the bad stuff swimming around in you with no evacuation route (cuz it’s blocked up from years of poor eating choices).

it’s totally painless… go for the gravity method. you can check out natalia rose’s website for a list of practitioners in your area.

p.s. davidp80- fruit is VERY cleansing, so if there is a link between fruit and skin problems it’s that, again, you are stirring up everything old and dirty in your cells, but it has nowhere to go but through your pores!

• I have been eating a TON of oranges lately, and I don’t recall having the itchy rashes before consuming them. I’ll cut back on the citrus over the next week, and see how things go. Thanks guys!

-Dave:)

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

i practice dry body brushing to help my skin eliminate toxins. my face did break out when i first started raw (and i have excellent skin so i was very sad) and i got a rash on my shoulders, so detox can absolutely appear in the skin. brushing helps a lot, and it just feels really nice. i’d probably still brush even if it didn’t help because it’s so pleasant.