Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I need help.

Hello Everyone,

I need help. I want to be healthy and start a raw restaurant so I can help others but I have a huge challenge to overcome… I cant uncook and believe me I have tried!!! I am living in Ireland and there are virtually no, if any raw vegans at all in this country.

My question is this…where can I go for a week or two or even a month where I can go and learn how to uncook. I am a student so I am broke but I can travel. So is there someone out there who is good enough to help teach me or somewhere I can go to learn where it won’t cost me an arm and a leg?

Any and all recommendations are more than welcome.

Comments

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

www.youtube.com has many videos of raw food chefs cooking.Just type raw food recipes.
    Also,www.shazzie.com .She lives in UK,maybe you could go there and have some classes with her.

• Hello garryjoker. Indeed, there are many online demos and also a variety of great raw recipe books that if you follow, bring about great results. Otherwise, if you are looking for a more intensive training, I would contact the author of the book “Living Foods Lifestyle”. I can look up her name, but if you google it, you should be able to find her retreat center in Atlanta, Georgia. She does a 10 day transitioning for folks who want to get on the raw food diet and you can do a work study with her and work in the kitchen. She’s very approachable, I talked to her about the possibility, and I am sure you could get more information from her. Good luck!

• FreesiaFreesia Raw Newbie

Natasha’s Living Foods
    Various locations +353-87 -9743455
    Not a store. Raw and living foods market stall selling salads, sprouts, desserts, snacks, main dishes, crackers, spreads, and more.
    Locations: Leapordstown Racecourse on Friday,
    Dublin Food Co-op on Saturday,
    Dun Loaghaire on Sunday. .

Give her a call… maybe she will help you.

Also…
    http://www.rawrob.com/about/... based in UK, has classes.

good luck!
  • BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Welcome garryjoker~ To the site… You might contact Karen Knowler for info on Raw Food Schools/places to learn about preparing raw food in Europe. She just did a event with James Russell (a raw food chef) that included a food demo, she is quite knowledgable, and she is based out of England. Another resouce out of England is Zoe & Chris. They have a hands on cooking school.

If you are interested in traveling to the US, post so and we will post places here.

Happy learning.

• Thats why I love this website, everyone is so willing to help. I have to say that England is probably off my list because of the value of the sterling, I like the sound of America as its cheap and its an adventure thrown in. Is 1 day enough to learn enough great meals to keep you going? I will definitely look into Brenda Cobb’s courses more as they look pretty good (Living Foods Lifestyle). As for Natasha in Dublin, she is great but she only does one day courses and they are way too pricey for just one day and I don’t feel it will be of value ( If I am wrong please let me know, but how many good recipes can one learn in a day you know). Thanks again everyone, you have all been really helpful.

garryjoker~ I agree with others… there are tons of resources on the net (vids on youtube and specific raw food sites), dvds, etc., that you can appreciate from home. I would suggest if you are going to go to a school, look for one that teaches technique, nutrition, and uncook information, subjects that you might have questions about. You can get tons of recipes from the net and books.

A few places to check out in the US are (various prices and offerings):

Eventhough some of the other suggestions are in England, you might contact them and see if they can hook you up to other resources in Europe or other places you want to venture to.

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

with the internet you dont have to go anywhere , but if you did ide ask around about the best raw restraunts then apply to work there for a week or 2 for a working vacation . heres a link to a good site of raw chefs , green chefs = http://gliving.tv/greenchefs .

also ide go to www.sunnyrawkitchen.com to see alot of great recipes and links . then join the forum of carmella the raw chef that runs the sunnyrawkitchen and im sure she’ll give you alot of great tips , heres her forum = www.rawfreedomcommunity.com

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Alissa Cohen’s book was the only food prep. book that I ever bought. I don’t even use it because many of her recipes include foods that I shouldn’t eat (wheat berries, legumes) and also processed ingredients like tahini and Bragg’s. The Internet is where I got my recipes and I don’t even use those as often as I make things up. This is by far the best site for variety and creativity (IMO)!

JoyceH~ Maybe a better description of OHI & HHI is a wellness clinic rather than a “spa.” Yes, many people go there because their health is severly challenged. It is understandable that some find their food bland since those places emphasize really cleaning out the body rather than being a “gourmet/luxury” style place like Canyon Ranch or the Golden Door. Both places have intensive educational classes in addition to colonics and other healing services.

Another option to consider if one wants to go to a place that is out of one’s financial means is to see if the place has an internship and apprenticeship program where one can work (like in the demo kitchen or other departments of the facility) for a very reduced fee or for free.