prep & schedules & menus

prep & schedules & menus

Comments

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

For me, I use nuts sparingly. When I do buy them (or seeds), I buy them already shelled (pine nuts, sunflower, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, chia, etc). Also, I try to make a few “quick meals” on Sunday night that will keep for the week. For example, last night I made a small batch of “real hummus” (found on this site), “mock mayo” (found on this site in the ‘mock tuna salad’ recipe) that I will use to make a spread/dip later in the week, and a half gallon of sesame seed milk. These are some examples of what I might keep on hand, as well as dates for my sweet tooth. So, on a given day, I will make a green smoothie or green juice for breakfast, have a salad wrap with either the mock tuna or real hummus with lots of other veggies, followed by the other wrap or dip in the evening. I would also have had another green smoothie or green juice at some point during the day (usually late afternoon).

I know that some people will buy and wash their produce on a given day of the week, which helps with prep time for smoothie/juice making. I haven’t gotten to this point yet, but plan to soon. ;-)

Hope this helps. Whether you’re raw or not, making a few things in advance that can be available in a pinch can really help.

• I am into my third month of eating raw, and I have fallen into a pattern similar to newbie. I also use nuts sparingly and generally pass on recipes that use too many nuts, seeds or sweeteners. I shop for fresh produce about every third day and wash/prep everything when I get home so that it is ready to go when I am hungry. I keep plenty of salad veggies and fruit on hand because those are the staples of my routine. I am also big on things like hummus, dips, and pates that can be used to make a quick wrap.

I try out new recipes regularly and file my favorites away in a little file system I have started with categories like salads/side dishes/crackers & breads/drinks & smoothies/etc. This website is great for new ideas! I use the weekends to make more complicated and dehydrator recipes, plus a half to a whole gallon of nut milk.

This lifestyle does require more work and planning, but the benefits far, far, far outweigh the extra effort! It’s sooooooo worth it! I have come to love preparing food – I love the colors, the smell, the texture, and of course the taste!

Good luck and always keep “fast” food on hand, so you never succumb to the bad “fast” food.

• I’m with you Cherie03, I could def benefit from some tips on food preparation.

I was thinking up a meal plan daily and then preparing the foods every night, but that, plus constant trips to the supermarket, got so time comsuming that I just stopped. Now I am trying to start up agin. Can anyone tell me what they typically eat during the day and at what times? If I make a smoothie before hand how long so I have to eat it? I find I get hungry every 2 hours no matter what I eat (sometimes less) is this normal? I am really striving to stay raw – you guys in this site are a real motivation! Thanks for all your help!