Frozen Veggies

Do Frozen veggies count towards the raw concept. I live in an area where it is very hard to get fresh vegtables on a daily if not weekly basis. Therefore, was wondering if frozen veggtables and fruits would work.

Comments

• They definitely do! I have seen many hard core raw foodists discuss using them without hesitation. Especially when you can’t get their fresh counterparts or it’s simply too expensive. Obviously the preference is to buy organic of course. And to make sure there are no additives or preservatives. In an ideal world, everyone would buy local and buy fruits and veggies seasonallywhatever is available during that season. But frozen organic veggies and fruits are fine for the raw diet. Obviously you should try to eat as fresh and as local as possible generally.

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Sadly, I think I recall reading that most frozen veggies are blanched before freezing. I’m not sure if that is the case for fruits, too. But I also recall reading that Cascadian Farms Organics (which is available in the US at health food stores – not sure where you are…) does not blanch their veggies. I think it’s great to do the best you can with the foods that are available to you, though. If frozen veggies are all you can find, then by all means, use them.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I know some raw foodists advocate commercial frozen veggies but they are almost always blanched first. They really do need to be blanched before freezing or they turn into a dark mush. Assume organic frozen veggies like Cascadian are blanched, also.(They are!) I’m getting more distressed when I read raw food advocates who write books telling people it’s “okay” to use commericial frozen foods.

Edit—fruits usually are not blanched because most fruits can’t handle the heat and retain shape.

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

also, if you are in an area where you can’t buy fresh veggies, you can grow lots of different kinds of sprouts and wheat grass on your windowsill.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Newbie makes me think of the other day, when I had a craving for peas and corn mix. I was lucky enough to have found some sweet corn on the cob(fresh) at the store and already had some sprouted green peas at home. So I made a sort of hideous butter from soaked sunflower seeds and poured some over my sprouted peas and corn. Mmmmm. Fattening:-D