Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

HELP PLEASE!

There are so many great things are here but they require a dehydrator. I do not believe in dehydrating so I was wondering if there are any alternative methods to dehydrating that anyone knows.

Thanks a BUNCH!

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

It depends on where you live. If you live in an area where there is strong direct sunlight you can dehydrate foods using the sun. There are also dehydrators that do not require electricity and use the heat from the sun to dehydrate. That is the only alternative I can think of. Of course I heard of people placing what they want dehydrated in the oven at the lowest temp. I do not agree with this method because even when the oven is placed on the lowest setting it is still quite hot! I hope this at least gets you started :)

Lots of Love,
    V

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Since it’s winter now and I’m heating my apartment, I use my radiator as a dehydrator. I just put plates of whatever needs to be dehydrated on the radiator. I’m not sure this stays UNDER the right temp, but it works slowly and effectively. I’ve never had a dehydrator, so I can’t compare, but it’s great for drying soaked nuts, cookies, etc. I plan to get a dehydrator next summer.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

The cool thing about sun drying is that it puts energy into the food whereas dehydrating depletes it.

I know dehydration isn’t ideal, but it makes transitioning to raw so much easier…for my first year raw I ate perhaps 50% dehydrated food, then my second year it went to about 25% and now in my third year it is about 5%. Whereas it was once a necessity, it is now just something I eat when I am traveling, visiting or entertaining or when I’m having some kind of emotional need for comfort eating. I can’t help but think that if I lived in a hot country I wouldn’t have wanted dehydrated food at all at any stage.

• i’ve heard of people suggesting using fans to rid the moisture from mixes to make them drier.

• check out drhall’s “build your own” dehydrator here

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/2136-HotBox-Dehy…

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Chris just made a dehydrator for us out of a metal shelving unit and some lightbulbs, and a fan. It cost