Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

not sure this diet is working for us?

Hello everyone, I have’nt posted for a while so I though i should share my feelings at this point and then maybe some of you could give me some pointers. First off I’m not sure this raw diet is working for us,especially my husband, I’m starting to realize it seems you need to have quite a large grocerie budget to sustain great health. My husband has dropped to 135 pounds from 150,now that’s all fine but he generally doesn’t look healthy to me,he seems like he’s not getting enough of something and he complains about being cold, which is startling coming from someone who is usually very warm blooded even in winter and is now seeming to be cold-natured, umm I’m not sure this is healthy for us and I am concerned about him. and the people I’ve seen on book covers(Raw food ) are very thin as well but they are’nt doing hard physical labor all day 12 hours a day.We just don’t feel we are getting maximum benifits from raw as we don’t have a a budget for it nor do we have the selection here in the boon docks to aquire it. we have been sticking with it other than dinner,what do you think? ~Karen

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Saying that you eat a raw food diet doesn’t explain much. What do you eat? Maybe you need more of something or less of others. Not everyone does well on a vegan diet. Maybe you’re one of them. That doesn’t mean that you can’t include more raw vegetables and fruits in your diet.

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

heres a great thread from www.rawfoodtalk.com where tens of rawfoodist chime in with their raw on a budget ideas , link =

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthread.php?t=225…

• I was frezing on raw till I realized I need more fat and calories.Could be low in iodine. I iuse a lot of kelp.Low thyriod run in my family.

• Hi there. Don’t worry about the thinness. Remember you are conditioned to see someone a certain weight. Even on conventional diets people get very concerned when their loved ones begin to change shape and look different and certainly in the West the idea of a healthy weight is dramatically more than it should be. We are still struggling to shrug off old ideas that the stockier the healthier. Also I have heard from various raw food sources that the initial weight loss was replaced by weight gain- but distributed over the body differently- perhaps as it should be naturally? Some women talk about increased bust but lower dress sizes!!! It is expensive! I and my husband struggle as students but we manage only because we make it priority and decided that our health is the most important thing. We even manage to buy organic at a pinch.

Maybe try 100% for a few weeks! Perhaps order off the net to get the stuff. The raw fooders I have read about rave and are almost evangelical about the benefits but they are mostly the 100%ers. I certainly benefitted when I was 100% but don’t get much off 80% (I’m attempting to get back to 100% at the moment) especially when the 20% is rubbish food which it usually is with me! Try all the raw fooder websites. I started off on Shazzie.com and her journals really really helped inspire me and gave me ideas of how I should perhaps be feeling on a day to day basis. Don’t give up…you may not feel it sometimes but your body IS benefitting from more fresh fruit and veg…it can’t not do. :-)

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

on dh losing weight = im 2 years raw . and up until at least 18 months raw i was down in weight , like 10 lbs . now here at 27 months raw i just went to doctor and weighed 10 lbs over my pre raw weight , in other words 20 more than my lightest weight like 6 months ago . so for me it took 2 years to adjust . now im running more to lose my gut ;) . though i’ll add i was eating to gain , alot of bananas – olive oil – avacado – walnuts – ground seeds (sesame / flax) on salads or in smoothies . on budget flax / sesame / sunflower would be good to look for in bulk to save then find ways to incorporate them ground in dh’s diet .

• This is what I needed to hear , I felt like just throwing in the towel and giving up ,just frustrated and I think that being only 50-75% raw is’nt going to feel a lot different so being 100% raw is the way to go. thankyou all for your advice and wisdom ~Karen

• Monark

In Victoria Boutenkos’ book “Green For Life”, she talks about how she found that some people could just not stay on a raw diet because they would lose too much weight. After doing much research on this, she discovered that these people usually had low levels of stomach acid and were not able to absorb the nutrients from their food. By taking HCI (hydrchloric acid) supplements with their meals, it rectified this problem. Also, green smoothies will also increase your production of stomach acid. As she writes, don’t confuse acidity in the stomach with alkalinity of the blood. Hydrochloric acid is essential for good health.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

being on a budget trying to do this diet is hard. i spend about $700 a month just for me!
    i too am looking for ways to minimize my grocery bill. bananas and apples are about the least expensive organic fruits you can find.

as far as not feeling well, i don’t think you mentioned how long you’ve been doing the diet, or what your diet was like before you went raw.
    it takes quite a while to balance out, so don’t get discouraged. you may still be experiencing detox symptoms.

i’ve been doing the raw diet for about 6 months now, maybe a little longer. i’m not 100% but i’m close, and the first three months i was very close to 100%. now the only time i feel not well is when i have eaten cooked food!

i agree that you might need more fats in your diet. perhaps you need to add some dehydrated foods in your diet, or maybe try miso soup, its not raw, but it is a living food, and it is very warming. during the winter i drink alot of herbal teas to help with the cold, again not raw, but if it helps your comfort level it might be worth it.