Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Food processors

What should I look for in a food processor? Why are some $30 and some over $200?

Comments

• Personally I looked for one not so expensive. I got one for my birthday this weekend. My friend got it from Walmart. It was $26.50 and it minces, chops, grates, etc. It’s by Black and Decker and it’s great!

• CTcyclist, I got mine at Target for $40. It’s a Black and Decker also and it works just fine. I use it probably 3-5 times a day. I’m sure it will last a while if I take good care of it.

• CTcyclist…what part of CT do you live in? Im in Hamden, near New Haven. The reason I ask is that I love riding and did my first triathlons this summer. Always looking for someone to ride with. I’m a runner as well..as you can guess by the long in name..

• I have a $35 cuissinart mini prep food processor and it works fine. The only problem I have is with thicker mixtures it gets stuck and I end up having to add a lot more liquid to get things moving (and then it takes longer to dehydrate If I am doing that also). I also burned one out once. Lately, I have been using my Blend Tec blender to process stuff more often than the fp now.

• We use a large cuisinart. Works great. I find it a cut above the cheaper models. It is heavy and stays on the counter when processing hard chunky vegs.

• I’m trying to stay cheap as well, but I still want something good. I see a Kitchenaid one that holds 12 cups at a time, and the thing that interests me the most is that it has a special attachment for making bread dough, which I still eat. I also noticed that it has special attachments for shredding and dicing, which while I won’t use all the time, it’s nice to know it’s there when I’m making a lot at a time.

To runnagurl: I live in Manchester right now, but I’m moving down to the New Haven area in September . I’d love to get some ideas from you on where I should move and what’s nice in the area, maybe I’ll shoot you an e-mail one of these days if you don’t mind.

• CTcyclist..def drop me an email when you get a chance..there’s a new raw restaurant in New Haven that I dont know if you’ve checked out and a raw cafe having a grand opening this Sun in West Haven..some things to look forward to as you make the move!

• I have the 12C kitchenaid fp as well with the smaller bowl and attachments & I love it!! I had the b & d one from target at first & the lid broke within the first 3 months. It’s not worth it to me to keep buying cheap equipment when I can just buy a much higher quality one for slightly more. I found a really good sale at one of our department stores here and got it for a little over $100.

• The only thing I’m not sure about with the Kitchenaid 12 cup one is whether I really need all that much, or if I could get away with the 9 or even 7 cup one, though I really do like the idea of the 4 cup bowl it comes with (I think it comes with the 9 and 12 cup ones). Has anybody actually used the attachment it comes with for making bread dough?

• Anyone looking for a Kitchenaid blender or food processor: You might find they are in the middle of a sale. At least they are at some NW stores. Their $150 blender is out for $100. The 7 cup fp is $120. Are the 12/9 cup sizes really necessary for singles or small families? Are the vitamix and blendtec really worth the extra $$$

• to add to what graham just said, amazon.com has great prices on the Kitchenaid. I can get the 12 cup for $130 with free shipping. I originally didn’t think I would want or need the 12 cup, but after looking at all the prices it seems like a great deal.