Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

raw nuts

The grocery store that I shop at has one of those bins filled with a variety of shelled nuts…the ones you scoop up and put in a bag. Does anyone know if these would be considered raw?

Comments

• I have those bins also but they specifically saw raw on them. If it doesn’t say raw, then it’s probably not. Also look for key words like roasted or salted, etc… If you’re still not sure it can’t hurt to ask.

• ok thanks…I just thought if they were still in their shell then they would be raw. Then these are most likely not considering they are at Walmart

• becareful with that.. and ask someone in the store that KNOWS what they are talking about..

FDA or USDA passed that all nuts in Califorina must be pasturerized BUT can keep the raw label on them..

if they are still in their shell.. chances are they are raw.. if not i would do some research..

• what do you mean by be careful? also these nuts I have been getting are in their shell and I do have to shell them..so chances are they are raw?

• I wouldn’t trust almonds from California . And also raw cashews are steamed if they say raw.I would stick with walnuts and Brazil’s or macadamia.

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

What I have heard, if they are in their shell, chances are they are raw, unless it says they are roasted.
    Now, if they are out of the shell, chances are they have been boiled, etc.

• ok thanks everyone!! I will continue buying the shelled almonds and walnuts I have been getting. Can anyone recommend an online store that sells raw nuts?

• sounds like you answered your own question.

“also these nuts I have been getting are in their shell and I do have to shell them..so chances are they are raw?”

i said becareful as they might not be raw

• thanks Plan B. I guess I was just trying to reassure myself!!

• roadrunnerroadrunner Raw Newbie

Ok what about sunflower seeds, the bin says “RAW, Hulled” the seeds are not in the shell and Im assuming this is what “hulled” means? I buy them bulk like this and soak them over night, then let them dry for a day, then eat them. I hope they are raw, the bin says so. The bin right next to it says “roasted,salted,hulled” then the bin next to that has the ones still in the shell. they say “unhulled”.